What is the most MacBook Air-like Windows machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tekno, Oct 5, 2012.

1. tekno macrumors 6502a

Earlier this year I left iOS and have been pleasantly surprised. And with Apple always talking about the post-PC era and not updating their desktop Mac line, I think the time has come for me to start looking elsewhere for my next laptop.

I currently have a 2yr old 13" MacBook Air and would like something of similar build quality, battery life, weight and size.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions or pointers.

2. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Lenovo X1 Carbon is pretty similar. I've always been impressed by the build quality of Thinkpads and these don't disappoint. My only beef with the X1 is with shortcomings in the OSes it can run, rather than the hardware itself. I'd thoroughly recommend it.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

4. MacSignal macrumors regular

Go to a store. With laptop hardware, you need to see the screens and put your hands on the keyboards to know what you are getting -- especially if you are used to MBP/MBA build quality.

YMMV, but everything I've seen at my local Best Buy and Microcenter is laughable/pathetic as a MBA alternative. And I definitely do not see Windows 8 helping that situation in the near term.

Too bad imo. It would be great for consumers for Apple to have more serious competition. If it ever happens, high end ASUS or Lenovo seems to have the best chance.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I looked at a Lenovo (forgot what model) and the Asus Zen, both look Mac-like, but at the end, AIR won. The Windows machines are not any cheaper so I figure go with the original. Sure Apple has not updated the look of the Air, but maybe somethings is (near) perfect and don't need updating? I wasn't crazy about the Air's wedge shape at first but my arms are growing appreciative of it.

6. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I was recently helping my father-in-law pick out a new Windows laptop. The choices really aren't that great. I'm sure it's because I've been spoiled by all of my Apple products, but everything just seemed really cheap.

I saw an HP which had a MacBook look to it, but the construction of it was very cheap and flimsy.

I think the nicest one I saw was a Sony.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I'd say either the Asus Zen or the Hp Spectre, the latter may not be built quite as well as the former but it has some good points like beats audio.

8. DrumApple macrumors 6502

1) Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

2) Samsung Series 9

3) Asus Zenbook Prime

Unfortunately they all have their shortcomings, including the Air. I've been debating myself for 2 months on which to go with. Waiting to see what Windows 8 brings before I decide.

9. tiwizard macrumors regular

I would also echo that the Asus Zenbook is a pretty good "Macbook Air clone." It's actually a decent PC, and the form factor is good.

10. entatlrg, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

DO NOT BUY a Lenovo X1C ... don't take my word for it, just read the pages and pages of problems and complaints on notebookriew ....

My company, since we I employ staff more comfortable with win7, is always looking for an ultrabook alternative to the Air. We were sadly disappointed with the X1C and still can't find suitable alternatives ... everyone has a huge shortcoming, or two, from bad screens, trackpads, keyboards, build quality ... hell people receiving brand new X1C's are having to send them right back in for repair, new out of the box!

Many people over on the pc forums, although unsure about OSX, certainly admire everything about the Air's hardware and are considering making the switch for that reason.

By the way, our 13" MacBook Air's running Windows in VM Fusion get better battery life than their ultrabook competitors - that's shocking to me.

PC Notebooks and ultrabooks are in a sad state of affairs under windows ... all those years to copy from the Air and they still can't get it right.

11. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

12. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

Samsung Series 9 is very similar to the Air, yet doesn't look like a rip-off, as many other laptops in this category do.

13. JVlasy macrumors newbie

MacBook Air running Win trought bootcamp? Obviously. There is not oné notebook that can compete with MBA in built quality/ price ration. Either there all are plastic **** or more expensive then air.

14. DrumApple macrumors 6502

Yeah it's also worth mentioning the ThinkPad X1C does not come in an i7/8gb ram config which the MBA does. That right there is a deal-breaker for me. If you want to upgrade the SSD in the X1C, the price becomes ridiculous for a consumer (maybe not an enterprise, who they're aimed toward). So Apple does have it beat in price and power. Only if the MBA had a better screen (matte), I would click that order button without thinking twice.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, the Samsung Series 9 is a pretty sweet machine... If you can afford it!

[​IMG]

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I would had looked at the Ultrabooks closer if they don't look so bleww, compared to an Air. What are you talking about ur asking me.

The Samsung. U think it's stupid but if they simply design a cool logo, a backlit logo on the cover, it would be much much cooler. Looks like they just stencil the word Samsung and that's is. No taste.

Sammy and the Asus, got that glossy brushed steel look. Don't they remind you of your kitchen appliances?

Sammy and Asus, special the pictured Sammy... ew I don't want to see the hinge. On an Air, the hinge is stealth, in fact u open it, turn it this way and that way and go, how did they do that. Apple got taste.

17. Calot macrumors regular

+7 billion

I, too, have been looking for a MBA alternative. But the truth is nothing even comes close to my 13" i7 8gb 2012.

All that people that say that "Macs are not for gaming" and "for 800 dollars you get a Windows laptop with three times the specs"... They mean that for 800 you can get a crappy, obese, ugly-looking Dell with 1GB of vRAM.

Yeah. Apple is really the best choice. For now, at least.

18. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Thanks for the head's up on that. We've only just gotten our test machines from Lenovo. Haven't had any serious problems with them yet, but I'll be on the lookout now.

19. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Summed up the three choices I was going to list. Just not sure what order I'd put them in until I've tried them out myself.

Another option would be actually get a MBA, and use bootcamp to put Windows on it. Just make the Windows Partition take up most of the drive space and set the computer to boot directly into Windows.

20. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

There are several which look nice. However, it is the feel and operation of the trackpad which never seem to measure up to the Apple brand.

21. bdrake47 macrumors regular

:confused:

"left iOS" already, and looking to move to Windows machine...

I'm just not understanding the logic of asking this question in an Apple-centric forum.

Not trying to start a war, just don't get why that question wouldn't be better asked in a PC-centric forum. (I know lots of folks on here use both, but if the OP is already out of iOS, and now looking to be out of OS X, why ask here?)

In any case, it is interesting to see all the other clone(ish) laptops out there, but price-wise (and with OS X) it still seems no close competition to the MBA in that segment.

22. stchman macrumors 6502a

My biggest problem with the Zenbook Prime is Asus does not even offer an 8GB configuration.

23. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

Was just going to post this exact list. These 3 are the closest to the Air.

But for me, even the trackpad alone makes the Air a better choice.

24. bartzilla, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Because of course that never ever happens with Apple computers? Or are you saying that you've got personal experience that the failure rate is very very high?

Of course it might be best to evaluate Windows laptops on their own merits rather than as a copy of the Air. Imagine the reverse, and try to put aside your feelings of how absurd that sounds because you prefer Apple: People who went looking for an Apple machine based on wanting one that "copied" a Dell or a HP computer would go away unhappy - and miss the benefits the Apple computers have on their own merits.

Anyway, I've got to go. I sold my MBP yesterday and I'm off to buy an Air to replace it :D.

... Apparently the Apple stores around here only carry 8Gb RAM models of the Air when you buy the largest size SSD too. Dang.