what is the most popular protective case(shell) for the current Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by arrowtree, Nov 30, 2013.

1. arrowtree macrumors member

what is the most popular protective case(shell) for the current Macbook Air?

thanks!

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Good question. I planned on an Incipio Feather but they were out of stock in black, so my next choice was a Speck SmartShell and I'm pleased with it.

I have Incipio cases on my MBP and iphone 4, very much like them so I wanted one for the MBA.

3. mangotears macrumors member

I originally had a incipio feather; softtouch black. It was okay. The texture felt pretty good and it fit okay, but it was prone to smudges and the fit wasn't perfect. I would take it off every now and then and put it back on..

It broke at the apple store and I got it replaced with a Incase hammered hardshell which I love so much better. I've never had the urge to take it off, ever. Unfortunately, online photos don't do it any justice.

4. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Whatever you do, make sure it's a good fit for the MBA 2013. Lots of cases are meant for the older MBAs, and cover the second microphone hole.

5. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

i use the 13' moshi black shell. it's 60$ though

6. arrowtree thread starter macrumors member

other than the two microphone holes, are all the Macbook Air 11-inch models identical in size? (i.e. can share cases with each other)

thanks! :)

I had this problem when I bought my previous Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 case. Bought a foreign version and used a US-market case. Ended up drilling 3 tiny hole with my Dremel. Fortunately the case was black and the drilled holes are noticeable. :)

7. arrowtree thread starter macrumors member

Is the Moshi shell well-made? I don't mind spending extra money, but only if it gives me quality. :)

Thanks! :)

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I'm not sure what the 'most popular' case is for the MBA, but some of the better made - more attractive - and yes, more expensive ones tend to be made of leather. Companies which make these include Twelve South, Saddleback, and Colonel Littleton - all of which are excellent companies offering products which are extremely good in terms of quality and are very well made, stylish, rugged and durable.

However, as you have asked for a 'shell' style case, these recommendations are not what you are probably looking for.

9. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

i like how it's made but mine does have a creak to it when i open it, like the hinge isn't calibrated or something. other than that i love it. the design is simplistic and it looks great. the apple sign can be seen through the case too!

10. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

for what it's worth i don't have that problem at all.
    have you made sure you've clicked it on all the way? i'd try taking it off and putting it back on.

i'm very happy with my moshi shell. i bought to full package - came with the shell, a keyboard cover and a little cloth+spray bottle.

i've abandoned the keyboard cover - not because there's anything wrong with it per se, i just don't like them/couldn't get used to it. but i love the shell

11. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

12. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

the moshi sign is supposed to be at the lower left corner, right? when i have them both on my mac theres a creak sound of plastic when i open it, only in the left though, i wonder if i have it on wrong
    other than that i love it, i just got it yesterday

13. richorlin macrumors regular

14. DisplacedMic, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

think you might have it upside down, mate:eek:
    the logo's on the bottom right on mine anyway...

Attached Files:

15. arrowtree thread starter macrumors member

I'm 99% sure that I'm ordering the Moshi. The 1% is the lack of vent holes on the bottom that worries me. :)

16. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

the laptop's vents are not obscured by the moshi.... i'm sure there is some insulation going on as plastic is obviously a poorer conductor of heat than aluminum, but I haven't noticed any heat issues since installing the shell.

17. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

oh! haha thanks!

18. case2001 macrumors 6502

I have a couple of the iPearl cases. One for my retina MacBookPro and one for my MacBook Air 13". They are nice. I like them better than the Speck brand. They have a little texture. Therefore, they are not as slippery and hide prints/dirt better. The price is great as well. You can find them on Amazon. There is every color available.

Fit is very good.

Good Luck..