What is the MP's USB cable really for?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by M Zorin, Sep 2, 2010.

1. M Zorin macrumors newbie

Am I missing something? I'm talking about the c.1metre USB extension cable.

I like the idea of having it permanently attached to save using the fascia USB ports, but the cable's USB socket is so tight, I can't plug things in very easily.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is it the Apple one? If it is there is a notch in it that matches up Apple's USB keyboards.

3. xispec macrumors member

i believe that cable is meant only for the apple's keyboard usb wire. depending on how far your keyboard is from your mac pro, you would use this extension cable.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

To reiterate what others have said, this is an extension cord for Apple keyboards. I was given one by my school, because they didn't need it. I took apart the usb port side of it, and I cut off/sanded off the notch. It now works as a normal USB extension cable :p .

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

You can use it as a general purpose USB extension cable just by using a bit more elbow grease to plug in the other cable. ;) I use it for extending my iPad charging cable. :)

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

It's for extending the keyboard cable, which is usually necessary if the MP needs to sit below a desk.

But I've also used the keyboard extension cable to extend low-bandwidth USB devices (like printers) in a pinch.

7. Vylen macrumors 65816

It's used for strangling people who disapprove of your Mac Pro purchase choice.

8. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

+1 million