What is the new (Leopard) UI called?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jakk2809, Jul 18, 2007.

1. jakk2809 macrumors member

It's no secret that Leopard is going to have a unified UI but what is it called? It can't be Aqua because they are trying to phase out the "buttons that look so good that you'll want to lick'em" and replace them with metal looking ones.

Anyone know what the new UI is called?

(also, has anyone noticed on the Leopard Beta that the 'back' and 'forward' button arrows are not centered in the button? It just hurts to look at them)

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

How about "crap" "tacky" "naff" or perhaps more fittingly, "Vista-esque"?

*runs for cover*

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah you better run:p

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Aqua deuX (pronounced "Aqua dux"). :D

6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

How about "The Barbie Doll UI" - nice and plastic looking..

Or maybe "The Christmas UI" lots of twinkly lights and shiny things to make people go "oooh woooow..."

Sorry, but no matter how many times I look at the pics of Leopard or read about it's whizzy new interface an d wonderfuly, life-enhancing features, it remains completely underwhelming. :(

7. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

Hunger Force

8. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

aka cover flow.

10. jakk2809 thread starter macrumors member

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

How about the Leopard UI? I know, I know, I'm crazy.

Other than that I can only come up with the Bonerland UI.

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Nah, its called Coverflow. Didn't you hear? Coverflow's the greatest thing. Its far more useful than a list of thumbnails - the kind of useless stuff that Aqua used... :rolleyes:

13. jakk2809 thread starter macrumors member

Really? It doesn't look Aqua-y to me. More like "alloy" or something to do with metal. When I hear Aqua I think blue not metal.

14. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

U - Uber
    G - Gross
    L - Lemons
    Y - Yuck

Their new catch phrase. You heard it here first folks.

I'm not quite sure how they could call it aqua, and it doesnt seem right for them to keep using the genie effect if they call the UI something else. And there's not much blue left, as someone said.

15. sfisher macrumors regular

Please report this to Apple if you have not already.

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I shall quote from notes available from the ADC.

"Aqua is the overall appearance and behavior of Mac OS X. Aqua defines the standard appearance of specific user interface components such as windows, menus, and controls and is also characterized by the anti-aliased appearance of text and graphics, shadowing, transparency, and careful use of color. Aqua delivers standardized consistent behaviors and promotes clear communication of status through animated notifications, visual effects, and more. Designing for Aqua compliance will ensure you provide the best possible user experience for your customers.

Aqua is available to Cocoa, Carbon, and Java software. For Cocoa and Carbon application development, Interface Builder is the best way to begin building an Aqua-compliant graphical user interface. If you are porting an existing Mac OS 9 application to Mac OS X, see the Carbon Porting Guide in Carbon Porting Documentation. Java developers can use the Swing toolkit, which includes an Aqua look and feel in Mac OS X."

It's called Aqua.

17. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I agree. Before I read all replies in this topic I was thinking of what to say other than "Aqua", but this sums it up. Aqua is more of a UI philosophy than an appearance.

Remember that a lot of the elements that make up the Leopard UI have been here for a while in one way of another, but now they've been refined and brought together. Click on your menu bar and you see transparency underneath the drop down, it's nothing new. Same with a lot of other things, coverflow iTunes, stacks aren't far off right-clicking a folder in the dock now and reflectivity is already built into iWork and other Apple apps that the dock now utilises.

Vista 2.0 uses Aqua 2.0

18. Alloye macrumors 6502a

I've been using the Leopard beta since it was posted on ADC, and I must say, I've come to prefer the new look. It's just so much more refined and consistent than Tiger.

On the other hand, I could live without the transparent menu bar. I really hope this becomes a user preference in future builds.

19. smitty078 macrumors member

After using Leopard since it was seeded on ADC, I can say that the "new" interface is ****ing gorgeous. Tiger makes me barf at how inconsistent it is. Leopard is sleek, consistent and smart. All of the "eye-candy" effects are not just there for the sake of having them, they provide visual cues that make the interface seem more responsive. They add a refined feel to the interface rather than just adding extra un-needed crap. The only issue I have is with the transparent menu bar. It looks nice and works most of the time, but it is just slightly too transparent.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Don't you mean "Aqua duten"? :eek: ;) :D

21. Stadsport macrumors regular

Haha, I just noticed that. The arrows in Safari are set too high, and those in Finder are set too low.

22. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

I too have used Leopard, and the interface is absolutely beautiful. I don't like the menu bar and dock, however. Tiger looks really old, almost ancient, compared to the refinements in Leopard.