What is the next rumored GPU the updated Retina MBP will have?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marddin, Mar 2, 2015.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

I was wondering what GPU everyone thinks may be in the next updated retina.

2. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I'm guessing it'll be an NVIDIA GTX 950M (due to be released soon), if the current trend continues. The 950M has a higher TDP compared to the 750M, however, so we'll have to wait and see.

I certainly hope it's the 950M, as the 900 series chips from NVIDIA has so far been very impressive with regard to energy efficiency and performance.

EDIT: I presume you're referring to the next possible GPU for the high-end 15"?

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It better be the GTX 950M. I need a dGPU in my 15".

4. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I think there's a possibility of the GTX 950M with 2GB GDDR5.

But to the above poster A, the TDP for it has yet to be released and B, by going by the fact that it's based on the Maxwell architecture rather than Kepler there's a very very good chance it will have a lower TDP than the 750M. So cooler plus considerably more processing power = day 1 upgrade for me. I won't be purchasing a new rMBP unless it has a decent dGPU like my current one does. Throw in Windows 10 via Bootcamp with DirectX 12 and it will be one hell of a non dedicated gaming laptop (to those who will bash me for using it as a gaming laptop, it's my £££ and I'll use it as I please even if there are cheaper/better alternatives).

I just hope Apple don't drop the dGPU option, iGPU's are still terrible in my opinion, even with the strides Intel has made.

5. vbedia macrumors regular

Determine whether o not there be a dGPU is a bit easier than to say which dGPU we might expect in case Apple goes that route.

If Apple goes the dGPU route people shouldn't discard AMD as an alternative. Assuming Nvidia like the only source may prove as a mistake.

If there is a dGPU inside the next rMBP I'd say it will be manufactured by AMD. There, my two cents.

By the way, I'd like to say I prefer Nvidia over AMD any day of the week. Even with CEO inability to transmit to the marketing department the new features of Nvidia recently released GPUs.

6. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

I don't see Apple using radeons in their mobile products. They are leagues behind nvidia in that department.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

They did it in 2011, and look what happened :)

8. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

While the NVIDIA 8600M GT failures were known to be NVIDIA's fault, it's less clear this time round.

It seems that a major factor in the 2011 model failures is the over-application of thermal paste, leading to very inefficient cooling. :confused:

9. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see them raise the engineering bar, and squeeze something more powerful in there. Razer crammed a 970m into a small laptop. I'm sure Apple could step it up to the 960m, and maintain battery life and keep it cool.

10. exizeo macrumors regular

Maybe they could have different GPU options with GTX 965M as well? 965m slots in between the older 870M and 880M, though it's much closer to the 870M. It's still only 3/4, if that, of a 970M's power.

Really want a docking station similar to that of the MSI GS30 though.

11. venom600 macrumors 6502a

I had to look up the MSI... I like it, but it's not as clean as the solution on the Alienware 13. I'd love to see Apple make eGPUs an option, but I doubt they will.

12. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

NVIDIA 8600 and 650M (apparently)
    AMD's in 2011

I personally think it has nothing to do with company of origin or thermal environment. Some chips have higher failure rates than others.

13. exizeo macrumors regular

But the MSI doesn't look chunky and flashy like the Alienware. Ofc it is, but not to as much of an extent. Also it's in one-piece, and not two separate pieces like the Alienware.

Eh, personal preference. But y'know, if Apple were to actually try making an eGPU solution, it'd look fantastic.

14. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

The eGPU options are no doubt awesome, but I doubt apple would offer it unless included into a new redesigned display. And then it would just be a mGPU

I'd just like to see them match what other companies are doing, and get the best hardware in the smallest space. If others can do it, why not apple?