What is the number on the 'Mail' icon?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Saladsamurai, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

This is probably a stupid question, but I don't get it :eek: On the home screen of the iPhone, down the bottom, there is a "Mail" icon. Then the icon is marked with a number. I had presumed that this is the number of unread emails I have, but this is not correct. Nor is the number of emails I have in my inbox.

It is not doing much good as an indicator of whether or not I have new mail, so I would like to make it more useful to me.

Thanks!

PS, "Mail" is linked to my Gmail account if that matters.

2. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Nevermind!! It is the new mail notice! I had another account linked to it that I did not know about. :eek::eek::eek:

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Glad to see it's useful to you. :D

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How do the speakers sound on your iPhone?

5. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

I was also wondering what i should be doing when the phone rings...is this normal? :rolleyes::p:D

6. eyespii macrumors 6502

haha - i had the same problem when i first got my iPhone! I couldn't find the unread message. Apple really needs to implement a unified inbox like on the blackberry or palm pre.

7. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

My phone never made any sound anyway. That's why I was so confused. I always have had to check for new mail manually. I did not know that the iPhone was defaulted to "Push" which apparently does not work with Gmail.

I now have "Fetch" set to an hour and everything makes so much more sense now :D