What is the oldest MAC you use on Macrumors?

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Just curious to see what some of the oldest Macintosh computers logging onto Macrumors are?

I am currently logging in with a 40Mhz Quadra 840av (gotta justify my screen name) and am using iCab as my internet browser.

While loading images is much slower then say, my G5, I am still impressed with how fast this little thing is, especially since it is 12 years old!!

MoparShaha

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
400 MHz iMac

My mom uses that machine daily. Still going strong.

Oldest machine I've used to come here has to be a 100 MHz HP Server that we retired from work a year ago. Up till the end, that machine was a Windows 2000 Server domain controller, NAT router, file server for an office of ten machines, and host for our website. Crazy.

Comment

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Daveway said:
Everyone likes to jum the all caps guy but giv'm some slack.
Bondi blue imac 233mhz
Thanks, I guess I should have known better. The reminder dosen't bother me, I needed it! That reminds me when I point out that people at my work ask were they can get a replacement "NIC Card" for one of our managed servers.

I always ask..

"So you want a Network Interface Card Card ? We don't carry those."

Comment

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
840quadra said:
I am still impressed with how fast this little thing is, especially since it is 12 years old!!
Well, I'm posting this from my Quadra 950 which is 13 years old.

So were did you got your 840 from? I got my 950 from Que back in 1998.

Comment

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
I log in with 4 different computers. The oldest one is just now over 4 years old, Ti PowerBook 500 MHz and it does the job just fine.

Brian

Comment

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I'm currently surfing MR on an old, but rarely used Mac Plus SE. Took 10 minutes just to load up MR. :(

Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm using my main desktop Mac. My Power Mac dual 450 purchased September 1st 2000.

Comment

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
RacerX said:
Well, I'm posting this from my Quadra 950 which is 13 years old.

So were did you got your 840 from? I got my 950 from Que back in 1998.
I bought the 840 in late 98 also!

I have used it constantly since. It will surf the web at speeds similar to my Pentium 133 laptop, and does an awesome job of working with Video and Audio still to this day.

Comment

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Lacero said:
I'm currently surfing MR on an old, but rarely used Mac Plus SE. Took 10 minutes just to load up MR. :(
I only wish!!

My SE was given to me.

It was used in a school, and I have no access to control panels, or extensions. I also don't have any system disks this thing can read. I think it still has the older style drives.

The only thing I can use my SE for is playing some of the games that are installed.

Comment

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
broken_keyboard said:
Hehe... as soon as I saw the thread title I clicked on the link to see who would be the first to make a comment about the all caps. It gets up my nose too.
Oh. Is "maC" okay? "mac"? mAc"? "MaK"?
I ReAllY tHinK it MaKES No DIFfErEnCe WHAT The ShiFT or CaPS LoCK Key iS DOInG.. We All KnOW WhaT We'RE TalkinG ABOuT HeRE, RiGHT?

Comment

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
PB G3 Pismo (Dual Firewilre USB)
Probably made in 2000, I think I bought it in 2001, just after the TiBook came out, but couldn't afford that! :eek:
Running Panther fine, considering taking the RAM to 768 :) (from 384 - couldn't quite believe when i found out it goes to 1GB :eek: the HD is only 12Gigs!) Battery a bit sad though these days :(

Comment

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
James Philp said:
PB G3 Pismo (Dual Firewilre USB)
Probably made in 2000, I think I bought it in 2001, just after the TiBook came out, but couldn't afford that! :eek:
Running Panther fine, considering taking the RAM to 768 :) (from 384 - couldn't quite believe when i found out it goes to 1GB :eek: the HD is only 12Gigs!) Battery a bit sad though these days :(
I am looking for one of those, and or an Orange (don't laugh) clamshell for doing picture dumps when doing Digital photo trips.

I don't like lugging around my Work Dell anymore

Comment

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
I'm using a PowerMac G3 Beige. It's my primary/only machine. :eek: Well, that is until the next iMac revisions. ;) I finally got the money for an iMac together and I figured if I could wait this long, I could wait a couple more months to get a revision with Tiger. :D

Comment

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
840quadra said:
I am looking for one of those, and or an Orange (don't laugh) clamshell for doing picture dumps when doing Digital photo trips.
Why not an iPod photo with dock and picture loader thing?

Comment

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
wide said:
Why not an iPod photo with dock and picture loader thing?
Not sure I can do the editing I need on an Ipod photo, plus a larger LCD is nice.

I currently use (a much faster then an orange Ibook) Dell D505 for my portable trips. I also tend to bop into WIFI hot zones to dump pictures on my Server.. the Ipod will not be able to do that for a bit. We also need Adobe to make a version of Photoshop that will load on the Ipod and support the native Dual processors :D .

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.