What is the oldest MacBook Pro you can put Mac OS Sierra on?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

--- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2016 ---
    Ok guys I figured it out. I'm thinking your average MacBook pro can run 8 years and 3 months or so.

The oldest macbook to take sierra is mid-2010, and if sierra gets security updates till 2018, then that's about 8 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Sierra

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You can get it to run down to early 2008 models. You'd just need to install a new wifi card and patch it every update (which may be worth it to some).

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay I'm just trying to figure out how long I will get software and security updates for my late 2013 rMBP.

4. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

I know you already figured it out, but I know for a fact that it's the model right AFTER my mid 2009. This was a big disappointment to me, but helped justify why I needed my new 2016. 7 years was a glorious run!

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Don't make too many assumptions about how long Apple will continue to directly support present models.
    If they decide to leap to another processor (or some other major change), it may be a shorter period than you might expect for older models to be supported.
    But, maybe you have a good charge on the battery in your Apple crystal ball, and you know what is coming in the next 5 or 6 years. (I don't :D )