What is the optimum Temperature for MBA 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MattRum, Jul 26, 2013.

1. MattRum macrumors newbie

Hi, I would like to know if my MBA is unusually running hot. The Base feels fairly warm and hot in all in the "red zones" near the screen and top of the keyboard. It is worse with thunderbolt external and with the charger in (which gets extremely hot to touch). Light use on web and playing music and streaming takes it to the figures from the iSat:
    HD Lacie 45
    Airport Card 50
    Enclosure Base 1 43
    Enclosure Base 2 43
    Enclosure Base 3 43
    Heat Sink 45
    Mem Bank A1 45
    Mem Controller 50
    Am I just paranoid? This is not even when on my lap but a desk.

Thanks

2. RandomQuestion macrumors newbie

3. MattRum thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the link. It is an i5 8G RAM and 256G. I was under the impression that they were much more efficient than the i7. I'm a mac newbie, so not sure of what to expect and I'm keen to make to sure everything is ok.

Thank again

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Completely normal. Streaming uses Flash which causes temps to heat up and fans to spin faster.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not at all, and there is no such thing as "optimum temperature", as it depends entirely on the workload you have currently running on your system.

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.
    The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
    Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
    It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
    Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
    The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

6. MattRum thread starter macrumors newbie

Many Thanks

Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply...really useful.

7. Tarrou8 macrumors member

Heat dissipation on the MBA is very good for an ultra-portable via its aluminum construction. As others have stated, it is quite normal for laptops to heat up depending on the workload/processes being run. The top left corner on mine gets quite warm under heavy usage but the rest of the body stays relatively cool.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmmm, no, they are not. Take a look at the Anandtech review of the i5 vs the i7. The whole battery/heat thing is a myth.

9. beautifulcoder macrumors regular

Mine never gets hot. I also gutted the crap out of services and superfluous processes on my machine. The 'top' command on Terminal is your friend. The only time I've felt it getting pretty warm was while it was charging and compiling Inkscape. At that point I thought I heard the fans whirling up but not entirely sure. I could have been phantom noises from a wretched PC I used to use. :cool:

10. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

You should update the text. The new MBAs are running with 1200 rpm base speed.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for the update.

12. JonLa macrumors 6502

Very jealous - my C2D 2010 Air runs much hotter than that - CPU up to 70C when doing anything...

13. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

You're fine, the danger zones are 70+ in laptops, probably more so in a Macbook Air because all the parts are so compacted. Buy iStat or something and keep an eye on them, and perhaps FlashFrozen. As mentioned above, Flash uses a lot of resources and causes the CPU to heat up quickly, FlashFrozen will alert you to how much resource is going into running Flash and gives you the option to 'kill' it temporarily or just to shut it off entirely until you turn it back on.