what is the point of Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Superman041, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Superman041 macrumors regular

What's the difference between buying the latest Apple TV and connecting it via a HDMI cable to the TV? Surely doing the latter is far cheaper and you can still get the same services?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

3. Erdbeertorte, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015

Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Exactly, the difference is that it's cheaper to connect an Apple TV that you already own to your TV than buying a second Apple TV and connecting it to your TV. :D:p

4. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Doing the latter is almost always far cheaper if it costs less.

5. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

confused....are the latest apple tv and and it not the same device. Is it an iPad, iPhone, or MB(P) with an adapter connection setup, or HDMI straight from a MBP?

If this the case main bene to me separation of duties. An apple tv won't give notifications of incoming calls and IM's from apps of choice going off all the time. You also have that device to use while watching the movie/show. I can do a fair bit with my say iPad mini or phone while the apple tv handles the showing of video entertainment. Nothing would get done if connected and being the video source.

Nor are you digging up the cable to connect all the time.

New apple tv also gets game support now. Which my son loves. Gets some iOS games on the big screen and they look they actually belong there. And tbh...he plays better on the apple tv than an iPad. That touch setup on the top of the remote for certain gaming is just right it seems. Also looks better, no black boxes and such.

Apple tv you can also ethernet hardware for better, imo, performance. I am in the wired is still the best connection crowd. I found it cuts down on say buffering tremendously. Wireless has gotten better over the years but to me...its has not put the final coffin nail in a good cable run point to point connect just yet. To the point I even spent the extra yen at the local DIY store to get raceway for a much cleaner install for longer distance cable runs.

6. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Someone's been drinking too much eggnog...

7. 2010mini macrumors 68040

This is why you should never post after drinking

8. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

The American educational system at it finest.

9. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Proofreading is a pretty easy concept.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Pretty simple. The first action involves spending money. i.e. Buying the latest Apple tv.
    The second action is free and is a straightforward process of plugging in both ends of a cable.

11. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Considering the first thing I have found it cheaper to consider the second thing. But in practice I have been unable to commit to the other thing you suggested.

12. tecnho macrumors 6502

I am completely bewildered by this thread. Saved to favorites for now...

13. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

14. jeyf macrumors 6502

grammar and alcohol consumption aside in a way its a valid question

15. ersan191 macrumors regular

If you're riding in a boat in the middle of a river and you cut the string will the wheels fall off?

16. Tech198 macrumors G4

I think the difference is more Apple doesn't provide u with one.. You need a HDMI cable if u wanna connect it your TV