What is the point of backup in itunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kickrz, Mar 21, 2010.

1. kickrz macrumors member

I just restored DH's and put the previous days backup however he is still missing all his music, pictures, some apps etc. So what exactly is the point of the backup if it didn't save his stuf??

2. suss2it macrumors regular

Because it backs up all your settings and your phone information such as your contacts and favourites. Also when you sync your apps back on it'll remember the order they were in.

3. kickrz thread starter macrumors member

So pictures, music and some apps then don't apply?

ETA: Is there a way to back up this stuff? Not that it much matters much now but good to know.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That "stuff" is synced. You have to sync that "stuff" by using the appropriate tabs in iTunes. You should also sync the "stuff" that gets backed up, even though it is backed up (like contacts, calendar, etc.). The only thing you can't sync is SMS text and app saves and settings.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    And any of that "stuff" can also be copied over to an external drive if you want to make an extra backup of them.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I have mine synced to 3 different computers, just in case.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, always good to have more than one backup.

8. kickrz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.
    I can get my apps although not all into itunes but how do I get the music onto itunes? Is there a way to get the 3rd party apps into it? I have DL a few from cydia but they don't seem to transfer.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant transfer any cydia apps to itunes.
    You can use pkgbackup thru cydia for that.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you're trying to get music off the iPhone onto the computer, you can use sharepod (PC) or expod (Mac). Then you just let iTunes find the music. To get 3rd part apps from the iPhone to iTunes, you just click Transfer Purchases in iTunes.

11. Jenkins12 macrumors member

Yes there are many programs out there that allow you to transfer the songs from your iPhone/iPod Touch to your computer. And what do you mean by 3rd party apps? Like apps you downloaded from the App Store? Just click transfer purchased items.

12. patb23 macrumors newbie

You said you have ur iPhone synced to 3 different computers. How do you get the apps to sync and the photos/videos taken with your iPhone to sync to another pc or mac.

My pc (windows xp) that my iPhone 3gs was synced to, just died and want to sync the phone to my iMac. I get how to do the contacts, but how bout the apps and photos/videos taken using my phone?