What is the point of having a zipped file?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Pathfinder55, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Pathfinder55 macrumors 6502

Well the title pretty much says it. What is the point?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Also, if you are zipping up huge files it can save a little space. Good for archival purposes and emailing

4. Pathfinder55 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, I get it thanks.

5. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

There is less point these days with growing hard drives, FTP uploads and broadband but still as a previous poster noted it is a good way to archive old files.

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Some ISP's also cap the size of emails you can send – that's what ours does so the ability to shrink a large file down by zipping it does come in useful.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sort of a subset of the "because a single file is easier than multiple files" reason above... Because I can create zip files with the drawing file, the fonts, x-reffed drawings, ctb print schemes, and anything else associated with my drawing files all in one folder per drawing sheet.

Makes transmitting drawings a much easier and cleaner process. All files associated with a single drawing are contained in individual zips.

8. scr1968 macrumors regular

And some ISPs, to avoid the spread of viruses, limit the type of files you can send to them. For example, I had a buddy once where I had to ZIP up all executable files and PPT files (that might have auto run) or they would get rejected. They didn't want anything that could be accidentally clicked on and run and potentially spread nasty things around.

SCR

9. Pathfinder55 thread starter macrumors 6502

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

So the moral is, before you send your junk out, make sure it's zipped...;)

11. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I don't know about zipping, but I know that the compression rates of tar and gunzip save my colleagues and I a ton of space.

12. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I don't know if it's this way still, but back a few years ago I remember if I sent an EPS file through email it would usually end up getting corrupted during the transfer. Zipping the file first would eliminate that problem.

13. c073186 macrumors 6502a

When I compress files using OS X's built in "Compress" feature (right-click > Compress) I get almost no reduction in size. Am I doing something wrong here or is this not the same thing...?

14. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The amount of compression possible depends a lot on the type of file you're trying to compress. For example JPEG files are already compressed internally, so you will notice little change in size by zipping them. Text files, particularly very large text files, will compress extremely well.

15. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I prefer to 'stuff' things, since it doesn't corrupt my fonts.