Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
What is the point of the HomePod Mini being a "Home Hub" and worse, you cannot switch it off? Whereby the Apple TV and iPad allows you to switch off the Home Hub if required.

The HomeKit eco-system [in my opinion] works well from the Apple TV i.e. I get a notification when the Logi Circle camera records an activity or a light is switched on when an Eve Sensor is triggered, however when the Home Hub is switched over to the HomePod Mini none of these activities works.

Begrudgingly, my work around is to switch the HomePod off to allow the Apple TV to re-connect to Home Hub. Am I missing something simple within the HomeKit settings?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Sadly, you are missing nothing. It’s just garbage.

And it’s got even worse with 15 versions of software. Dozens of posts about this already with people wanting exactly the same thing: to disable the ****** HomePods from being home hubs but can’t be done.

Apple in their complete and utter lack of wisdom deem it inappropriate to disable the HomePods.

Reactions: ouimetnick

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
I really don't like it that you can't disable the hub functionality. I have two wired tv 4Ks who do a much better job as hubs. But sooner or later one of the HomePod minis takes over, and response times of lights etc. tank.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
Is it jut the mini HomePods that have issues when acting as the main home hub?

I have 2 x 4k ATV’s and 4 x original HomePods as available devices to be the home hub and for me it has worked flawlessly no matter which device is the home hub.

I have never been tempted to buy a mini HomePod.

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
Is it jut the mini HomePods that have issues when acting as the main home hub?

I have 2 x 4k ATV’s and 4 x original HomePods as available devices to be the home hub and for me it has worked flawlessly no matter which device is the home hub.

I have never been tempted to buy a mini HomePod.
For me it feels although the HomePod mini is the main culprit, my HomeKit items function a lot better when the Apple TV is the hub and not the HomePod mini.

i do not have the original HomePod ergo couldn’t comment. Out of curiosity, what iOS are you running on?

Reactions: Nütztjanix

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
For me ALL 4 of my HomePods are on iOS 15.2.

I must be one of the lucky ones, in that my homekit/smart home set up has worked flawlessly from day 1, no matter which iOS version I've been on.....and have been

I reckon it is down to the choices of products used though.....which are as follows:

ALL light bulbs (30+), light strips (15+), dimmer switches (10), motion sensors (6), smart plugs (3) are Philips Hue products....so has its own hub using the Zigbee protocol.

ALL radiator thermostats & Wall thermostat controller are Tado products....so also has its own hub using the zigbee protocol.

For my house Wifi, I use a dedicated 5Ghz & dedicated 2.4Ghz network.....and I....and I alone choose which device connects to which network....and as I type this message there is ZERO items on the 2.4Ghz network......I have done this method for many years and I will continue to do so for ever probably. I believe this is a major part of some peoples problems for many Wifi or smart home related problems when they have a single SSID network for the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bands.

Reactions: Itinj24

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would like to know what the point of any of the HomeKit hubs are as I would still have to buy a separate bridge or hub to use with any smart devices such as lights or plugs.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
The way I look at it.....if a brand of products needs a hub, think of it as the brains of the products that brand offers, so that allows them all to communicate and function correctly for what the end user is wanting to do within its native app....Philips hue app or the Tado app in my case.
So for these products and many other brands items, in order for them to work with Apple Home App.....they need another hub to be used as the brains for it to work on the Apple Home App.

Also.....I DID NOT buy any Apple product for it to be a dedicated Homekit Hub.....iPads are used for iPad things, HomePods were bought to be used as a speaker, Apple TV's were bought to stream and watch TV stuff.......Apple added the function of being a Homekit hub as an extra feature for those that would want to use it......so I did not need to go out and buy a NEW HUB in order to use Apple Homekit.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
You shouldn’t really need to buy anything else to get it to work. Alexa and google home devices can run smart lights, plugs and cameras without the need for bridges and hubs.

• Haha
Reactions: Nütztjanix

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
You shouldn’t really need to buy anything else to get it to work. Alexa and google home devices can run smart lights, plugs and cameras without the need for bridges and hubs.

That’s because those particular devices will have support built-in for Alexa and Google. Those devices which do not have direct support for HomeKit need a bridge.

For example, Eve devices do not need a separate bridge because they support HomeKit natively. Philips hue on the other hand, the bulbs, sensors, switches et cetera do not support HomeKit therefore need a bridge, in this case called the Phillips hue bridge.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
I have Meross smart light switches, plugs and lights. Not one of them requires a special hub.

These products simply connect to WiFi and then go through my Apple TV or HomePod:

I also have an Eve humidity and temperature sensor that links to my kitchen HomePod mini by virtue of built-in Thread support - again, no separate hub:

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
For me ALL 4 of my HomePods are on iOS 15.2.

I must be one of the lucky ones, in that my homekit/smart home set up has worked flawlessly from day 1, no matter which iOS version I've been on.....and have been

I reckon it is down to the choices of products used though.....which are as follows:

ALL light bulbs (30+), light strips (15+), dimmer switches (10), motion sensors (6), smart plugs (3) are Philips Hue products....so has its own hub using the Zigbee protocol.

ALL radiator thermostats & Wall thermostat controller are Tado products....so also has its own hub using the zigbee protocol.

For my house Wifi, I use a dedicated 5Ghz & dedicated 2.4Ghz network.....and I....and I alone choose which device connects to which network....and as I type this message there is ZERO items on the 2.4Ghz network......I have done this method for many years and I will continue to do so for ever probably. I believe this is a major part of some peoples problems for many Wifi or smart home related problems when they have a single SSID network for the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bands.
It seems that the consensus is that many don’t want the extra cost and physical space taken up by extra hubs.

I’m going to agree with you though. Most hubs and bridges connect via Ethernet so off the bat, they’re getting the best possible connection. Then to connect to their accessories, protocols such as Zigbee, Z-Wave and Lutron’s proprietary (ConnectSense, I think it’s called?) are so much faster and more reliable than direct to Wi-Fi. Lutron gets accolades everywhere for the speed and reliability of their switches.

That said, I’m looking into how I can replace most of my devices with something with a hub. All of my cameras are currently Logitech and I’m looking to switch to Aqara possibly. I’ve been using Aqara for a few years now and the sensors are rock solid. Just wish Aqara made an outdoor camera.

Hubs and Bridges are generally not very expensive. I don’t care to install a wall unit or shelving to house these hubs. I’d rather pay extra for speed and reliability in HomeKit. Never have issues with my bridged devices but Wi-Fi on the other hand…

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
I used to look for devices not requiring a hub, but over the years of my smartphone endeavours found the ones with a hub to be the most reliable ones. WiFi devices to sometimes have hiccups, especially in WiFi-dense environments. Bluetooth is the worst, for lag and range, especially in European style houses (brick/concrete walls and ceilings).
Thread has been reliable so far, as long as you have enough devices to form a decent mesh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.