What is the point of Jailbreaking your iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iFORNICATOR, Jan 26, 2009.

1. iFORNICATOR macrumors newbie

iFORNICATOR

Nevermind. I should have just googled it. ok i'm dumb, and I'm ok with that : )

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

jailbreaking allows you to run applications that are not in the appstore (usually because they do not meet apples criteria). Jailbreaking takes 5 mins and can be completely reversed with a restore, so far I have never heard of someone bricking their iphone from jailbreaking. Some of the best apps that need a jailbreak are:

-cycorder (allows video recording on iphone)
    -Winterboard (allows customization of iphone)
    -yellowsn0w (unlocks your iphone to work with other GSM carriers)
    -and for more experienced jailbreakers, allows you to ssh into the phone.

You should try it out, if you don't like it you can always restore to official apple software.

4. iFORNICATOR thread starter macrumors newbie

iFORNICATOR

"cycorder (allows video recording on iphone)"

So you can get a video recorder by jailbreaking your phone?

Where would you get this app once your phone is jb?

that would make me think about doing it. I'm just nervous to jailbreak and then my phone doesn't work and i'm screwed. video recording is one thing i would definetely like to have on my phone though....

5. ehurdler macrumors member

You should really go back to your first post in this thread. Google or search on the site here! Tons of tutorials on jailbreaking your iPhone.

6. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

i did it because i wanted my phone and touch to look like this...

Actually, these pics are from when I started, it looks even better now.

Attached Files:

7. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I have never seen you contribute anything useful here. You either post "search forums" or "the OP's ebay auction is a scam."

People are happy to regurgitate information, even if there are thousands of old threads and posts about it. This thread is living proof of that.

8. VLok macrumors newbie

SIIIIIICK

I want...

9. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

You probably haven't looked in many places, because he has in fact contributed to many threads with useful advice.

10. gibbz macrumors 68030

Actually, Tallest Skil contributes quite a bit. Perhaps you should read some of his Mac Pro discussions.

I realize that people are all too happy to regurgitate information, but it is annoying when people post stuff that could be answered by doing a little search. It is lazy in fact.

11. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

You'll get an app called cydia installed when you jailbreak. Cydia is like an appstore for JB apps (except its almost all free).

Jailbreaking is perfectly harmless. Just make sure you don't have a bunch of stuff loaded onto the phone before you do it. I try to follow this procedure:

1. Back up the phone in iTunes
    2. I usually restore here in iTunes just to start off with the phone wiped clean
    3. Run qwickpwn (I'm suggesting qwickpwn to you since its a lot easier)
    4. Once the phone is fully rebooted and you have cydia installed you are now JB
    5. Restore from the backup made earlier to get all of your info back

The only way you can permanently damage the phone doing this is if you unplug the cable from the phone while it is loading the new FW.

12. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Actually it's much lazier to post something stupid like "search the forums" rather than link a relevant thread or type a helpful/detailed post for the OP.

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

To respond with valid answer is to support such practice. Best practice is to simply ignore the post, but no one does that.

14. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Wrong. Once a member learns to search Google or the Forums BEFORE making a post, they will not make threads that are the same as previous ones :)

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I think Tallest Skil gives a lot to the forum - he not only provided succinct advice with only the merest of edge to it, he also gave a MRoogle link - a great thing to learn (google/MRoogle the forum to find older threads and comments).

16. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

IOW, do their work for them.:rolleyes:

17. spikescot2005 macrumors member

I jailbroke my phone yesterday and it was really easy so no need to worry :)

18. TJisYeah macrumors member

you really wanna S his D dont you?

19. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Well said. Sometimes Im actually afraird to post because someone will post some unhelpful response like you mentioned.

20. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm going to agree that a search is definitely something that should be considered first. But in some cases, the information contained in past threads is dated and the OP is better off starting a new thread and getting an up-to-date response. Also, it'll never hurt for somebody to lend a helping hand and exercise their iPhone knowledge and spelling and grammar skills... :cool:

To the OP: Simple. To make it yours. I like having an interface that is unique to my tastes. I realize that the theme Apple locked in is in fact the best looking one out there in most people's opinions, but it's nice to be able to change things around for a breath of fresh air every once in a while.

And TallestSkil, although sometimes blunt and/or straight to the point, has been one of the more helpful posters since I've been around here.

21. Acronym macrumors 68000

to get some of the apps that previous posters stated and to get awsome looking themes like this one

[​IMG]

without a Jsailbreak your very limited as to what you can do

22. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I did my 3g today. WOW! It didnt even lose my data. How simple!!! All of 4 mins it took. I am theme'd to hell now. It's a whole new phone.

23. emt1 macrumors 65816

That was sarcastic, right?

24. Acronym macrumors 68000

no arcasm vista kicks ass man