What is the point of Migration Assistent if we have Time Machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluedoggiant, Feb 11, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I have Time Machine set up, been up for a while, love it. I know that you can do a full system restore using Time Machine from the Leopard DVD. But if I have that set up, is Migration Assistant any good if I want to restore my system after a HD failure for example?

2. SolrFlare macrumors regular

The point is if you don't have a time machine partition/drive handy then you can use the migration assistant instead. It's always nice to have options.

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

So I'm not missing out, there are no +'s?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i dont think you can restore a TM backup to another Mac as its a complete backup and some system files may not work on the other mac.

however Migration Assistant may ignore these files and use the ones that were just installed since you can only use migration assistant on a mac that has Mac OS X installed on it.

5. McGiord, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Migration Assistant is used to transfer data from existing users from one Mac to another.
    So you can setup a new Mac with all your previous user data and setup from an old Mac.

Also if you are transfering user data from a Mac that has Tiger or a previous Mac OSX versions you use the Migration Assistant.

Time Machine is only available with Leopard.
    ________
    glass bong