What is the possible ways of attacking this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michaelmaxwell2, Jul 2, 2008.

1. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Now I was pay as you go user with the iphone. Until a p.o.s person went and robbed me for it....... so now I see that the phone is no longer a pay as you go phone, so I was wondering if I should get my friend to buy it on a contract and cancel it after a month and change the sim card to my pay as you go sim card. But the problem that I face is would I get 3g service? I've called att wireless and they tell me the pricing for me is 399 for 8gb and 499 for 16gb...... but you can never trust em they are always giving new answers. But then if I was on edge with the new iphone which I have no problem doing so all I want is my iphone back but wont the gps go slow due to the maps load time?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

maps on edge is fine, and 3g will work as long as you have a 3g sim

also, there are payg iphone 3g available from at&t

3. michaelmaxwell2 thread starter macrumors regular

Idkkkk because it does state on the list there will be no iphone on prepaid and also just because the sim card is 3g does mean it is activate the 1st gen iphone came with 3g sim cards.

4. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

There is no such thing as a 3G sim card. The AT&T sim cards just SAY 3G on them.

Also it seems the $599.99 and $699.99 options are the pay as you go options.... what else would you do with a phone locked to AT&T that you don't need a contract with?

5. michaelmaxwell2 thread starter macrumors regular

I am guess you did not read the thread?

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

so, what, before 3g, and 2g existed, all sim cards supported 3g???
    dont think so. with my last phone, i had to upgrade it to a 3g sim in order to get 3g services

i was talking about that pre-paid iphone as well
    also, cancelling an iphone contract will be expensive - it will be cheaper to buy the prepaid one

7. michaelmaxwell2 thread starter macrumors regular

when i calculated it it came up to 630 dollars for the 16gb i still save around 100 ish