What is the procedure for transfering music from your keyboard?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by thewright1, Jan 21, 2009.

1. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

Hey All,

I've made all these wonderful beats on my Roland Fantom keyboard, now I want to bring them into Logic and mess around with them. What is the normal procedure for this? I was thinking just play one track at time for four measures, and then just create loops of the audio but something tells me there is an easier (better) way to do this. Would someone care to elaborate?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

You should not have to play it "one track at time" if each instrument is on it's own MIDI channel. There are 16 MIDI channels. You just need to match up the channel asignment both on the keyboard and inside Logic. Even my early 90's vintage Roland can do this so I assume a Fantom can.

Maybe there is a channel convention that "everyone uses". I don't know but I just put the right hand keys on "1", the left on "2" and bass on 3 and drums on 4. It all goes over the midi wire and on the computer end gets sorted out tothe correct tracks

3. thewright1 thread starter macrumors regular

thewright1

I'll try it out and see if that works. I spoke with the support rep over at Roland this morning and he was telling me to go one track at a time maybe he wasn't familiar with Logic though but the key is matching up the channel assignment in Logic so I'll try that. Thanks Chris.

4. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Ahh, amazing that people still don't understand the difference between Audio and MIDI after all of these years...

If you want just the "pattern" of your beats that you played transferred into Logic, then yes, it's simply MIDI data and you can send all those tracks/channels over MIDI into Logic then Logic will use whatever internal instrument you assign to play the patterned "beats" you created. However, if you want the actual "Audio" from your Roland sent to Logic, you can only send Audio via the audio outputs of your Keyboard, and unless your keyboard has multiple audio outs, then yes, you will have to do it one track at a time.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes you are correct about that. But I don't think in this case it is a problem with people not understanding the difference, but more that the OP did not state clearly enough what he wanted to do.

6. infowarfare macrumors 6502

True true.