What is the proper way to prep iPhone for sale??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shanewilliams, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

What is the best way to get your iPhone ready to sell? I'm thnking about listing it on CL or a local paper. I know the buyer will want to verify that it works, so do I want to just delete everything and restore as a new phone? Or will that retain any of my information once I pull my sim card after they've checked the phone out??

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Step 1 : Gather any original materials that you may have.

Step 2 : reset the phone via iTunes or the built in delete mechanism.

Step 3 : plug back into itunes and activate. iTunes will ask you if you wish to restore your backup. Don't do this. Then pull sim.

Step 4 : ???

Step 5 : Add bacon. There should always be a step for bacon.

Step 6 : Profit

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Steps:
    Restore
    Settings > general > erase > all content and settings (THIS WILL TAKE 2-3 HOURS)
    Sign out of iTunes on your computer
    Make sure phone doesnt have your apple account signed in.

4. Sp71Supra macrumors regular

I am in a similar dilemma. I have a 3GS unlocked and jailbroke on 3.0 on an older baseband.

It is about to end on ebay as we speak. I don't want to restore it and have to re-jailbreak and unlock. I just want all my contacts/pictures/songs without messing with the software or jailbreak. Is this possible or am I going to have to go through and hand delete everything? I assume if I do a restore with itunes its going to erase my jailbreak.

Whats my easiest route?

Thanks

5. Shanewilliams thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I knew bacon was involved, I'd restored a long time ago! Nothing wrong with a jelly toast and bacon sandwich at anytime of the day!

6. 55test55 macrumors 6502

Question, what if I avoid step 3 (but take out the sim)? Can't the person activate it themselves?

7. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Yeah. Why would I need to activate it after zapping and before pulling SIM?

8. 55test55 macrumors 6502

Bump anyone know?

9. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Good question...why do we have to plug it back into itunes? Can't we just restore/delete all the info and take out the sim?

10. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

If they are going to test it before buying, you will need to activate it and leave the SIM in it until they test it, then take it out.

If they are buying it unlocked, you DEFINITELY should activate it, as activating an unlocked phone with a T-Mobile SIM is difficult for them, but very easy for you.

Otherwise, the buyer will have to plug the phone into iTunes and activate it when they receive it, which isn't bad for Ebay, but again, they can't test it if meeting in person.

11. jellorocks macrumors member

Is there a website that tells you how to take the SIM out? I am selling a 3G and have never opened up the phone before.

12. theepsyche macrumors newbie

13. SinistrV6 macrumors newbie

I realize this is an old thread but I'm having an issue. I did the full delete using the function in the "Settings" menu. Then it got "stuck" in reboot (apple logo only). Following the instructions here, I got it to the "connect to itunes" but when I didn't restore and unplugged it from the PC, it just locked up again. I don't want to restore it, I'm trying to sell it.

Any help is appreciated.

Richard

14. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

if you don't restore it, it will stay there. You can restore it to factory settings without using a past save point. you have to connect it to get it back on, but that doesn't put your info back on.

15. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

If the iPhone is activated, they can test the phone before they buy.
    Otherwise all the buyer would be able to see is the "Connect to iTunes."

16. SinistrV6 macrumors newbie

Thanks WRIGHTRACING. Forgot to include that it's Jailbroken. Is this going to "brick" it?

17. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

No, but if you did a restore, it is no longer jailbroken and is just like it was when it came out of the box. Not a thing on it, except what apple put on there. If you sold it as a jailbroken phone, then just re-jailbreak it, and send it in the mail.

18. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

2-3 hours? I've done this a handful of times and it has never taken longer than 5 minutes...