What is the purchase limit on iPhones per year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidlw, Mar 9, 2009.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I have purchased 4 iPhones since 2G came out. Is there a limit as to how many that I can buy in 1 year or 18 months etc. I want to buy the new iPhone when it comes out this summer but am afraid that AT&T won't allow it since I have already bought 4 during my contract. Be aware that I have 6 AT&T phone lines and I am prepared to pay full price.

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

3. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

DON'T PAY!

Just give it a month and a half and you'll save $200!

And yeah, what the previous guy said. PM me with account and routing number....

4. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

But can I still buy the new unit this summer if I pay full price. Will they prevent me from buying since I have bought a few in the past 2 years.

5. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

If your willing to pay the unsubsidized price, why would they care? I don't see why that would be a problem.

6. bigchief macrumors 6502a

7. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm....from the looks of it, each line can get 1 iPhone every 18 months. The OP has 6 lines (4 being iPhones), so couldn't he just upgrade one of the other 2 lines to the iPhone? (and switch the sim cards if the wrong line has the iPhone?)

8. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Is it still true that you can only have 2 iPhones on an AT&T Family Plan??? We currently have 2 but are looking to add more. :)

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I never heard about anything like that. We have a family plan with 2 iPhones on it and when we were signing the contract, the AT&T salesman was trying to get us to add more iPhone lines. So, it shouldn't be a problem. If I remember correctly, each additional iPhone line should be $39.99/month.

10. marksandvig macrumors regular

Nah.. we got 4... :D :D :D

11. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes, the Thread Starter (OP) can have an iPhone 3G on every line.

Sorry guys this is just another one of those fake stories floating around. AT&T can and does limit the number of devices you can purchase on a single line of service. They get to decide but it is not 1 upgrade / handset exchange per contract period.

Do to the heavy iPhone 3G activation abuse they have started to monitor and deny specifc upgrade requests on the same line of service to limit abuse. Even at the $399/$499 you are still receiving a discount and it still requires a two service commitment. If they were selling at a "No commitment" price, then you could purchase as many as you can afford.

Dave

12. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

yeah i dont see why they would care. They are in the business of making money and you are giving yours to them.

13. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

If you are prepared to have another line of service and pay for the phone, you can have another iPhone. Hell, if you want to buy a thousand new lines of service, then you can have a thousand iPhones. AT&T will gladly take your money.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've got (5) 3G iPhones total on my Family Plan with the addition of my sister-in-law. Thank god she doesn't live with us...:p

15. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91