What is the reason iphone don't make dual sim capability?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chilman, Aug 1, 2017.

1. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

I see many people carry more than one phone, samsung ,LG and other android phones made dual sim card capability. Is there a reason apple don't do the same? It's more practical to carry one phone that can use 2 sim cards than carry two phones in our hands.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

I think dual-SIM presents a relatively limited business opportunity. I'm sure it's wonderful for the people who need it, but I don't encounter very many people who do need it. Building the cost of that second SIM slot into every iPhone sold doesn't seem like smart business, nor does producing a special, dual-SIM model. I could see it as a standard feature of the "Plus," just another reason to spend more on that model. :::shrug:::

I find many dual-phone users also need to segregate their data - conforming to corporate policies on the company phone, while wanting the freedom to do anything they please with their personal phone. Those companies that apply a profile to their devices would need a way of doing that without interfering with the personal usage. That might be addressed by a phone with multiple User accounts - perhaps choosing the phone line automatically switches the User account? Altogether, an interesting list of challenges.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Many of the iPhones are carrier specific and there is no way the carrier would like you to have the option of leaving their network while using "their" iPhone.:(

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

True, but they might balance that with the opportunity to charge for two lines of service, rather than one. So long as the carrier can lock the entire device to a single carrier, they'd be fine with it. If the employer requires Carrier X, then the employee may need to switch to the same carrier.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Maybe so but it is all moot at this point.

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I think this is spot-on:

1) Not heavy demand for it
    2) People with two phones may do that for corporate policy reasons - I know I do, because they haven't sandboxed the corporate features enough to let us BYOD.

I'll add:
    3) It's inconsistent with iPhone's purported ease of use. I can only imagine the confusion the potential for two SIMs would create for some customers, who would end up complaining about how they burned through the wrong data package.

7. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

Apple promotes a "one user one device" policy. They don't even allow multiple users profiles for an iPad or iPhone. The software is there, but Apple limits it to educational markets for economic reasons.

The "space" reason is pretty silly. Apple can place an embedded SIM and nano-SIM tray in the iPhone. The question is, why sell one when you can sell two iPhones?

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Everything is based on demand. If millions of people will pay a premium for it Apple will make it ASAP. Probably just a small modification from a single SIM iPhone. If a few thousand people want it the idea goes to the bottom of the pile....

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said, and I completely agree.

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Most people (that don't already own a dual sim phone) do not realize that most "dual sim" phones out there are "dual SIM dual standby". That means user needs to select which sim is active, and the other is always on standby. In other words, you cannot receive calls from both lines, nor use voice on one and data on the other.

This is why people need to carry two phones if they want to be reachable at both numbers.

Knowing this, do you still want such a "dual sim" phone? I don't.

11. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

They sell iPhone cases that give you dual sim capability.