What is the sales-pitch for jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone envy, Sep 26, 2008.

1. iPhone envy macrumors member

I'm gerneraly a bit cautious when it comes to these kids of things, as in large part I'm not super computer savvy when it comes to personalzing and tricking out my gadgets. I've been on the safe side of the fence, but have wondered if the grass is greener. Can people list out some major pros and cons?

From what I can tell - jailbreaking lets you:
    1 - customize the look dramatically (not a big deal for me).
    2 - load software not availaible in the app-store
    3 - anything else of major impact?

As for #2 - what are the bigg hitters in terms of programs you can get by jailbreaking? I'm really interested in this question. What program, feature, drove you to jailbreak?

Cons:
    1 - voids your warranty?
    2 - can't get help from MacStore?
    3 - buggy?

Thanks all in advance. Sorry if this a noob or repetitive question, but I just didn't see any sort of comprehensive look at to jailbreak or not.

2. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

it's not gonna get too comprehensive that that... And those cons aren't that accurate...

Appl says it voids warranty, but you can just re-instAll the original firmware... And there's plenty of help if you need it so dunno what your 2nd statement is about... yea u can't get macstore help but, they know less than you...

3. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Just disable the pineapple icon when you jailbreak.

What Steve don'tknow won't hurt him.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've read reports that they can still tell and will deny service in those cases.

As for the O.P., I suggest that you read through the forum dedicated to jailbreaking. I think your answer of "other software" is the main reason to jailbreak.

If you can find software being talked about over there that you really want, then jailbreak. If you don't see anything, then don't.

I think that's pretty much the way to look at it.

5. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

If you have a hardware failure on a jailbroken phone that prevents a restore the game is over. Anything else that is an issue you can take care of. Make sure your hardware is acceptable before jailbreaking is all I can say.

Pineapple boot up = pineapple of death at 'genius' bar.

6. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

How do you disable the pineapple icon? That thing annoyed me to no end the last time I jailbroke with pwnage.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Remember that this is "stuff on read" on the internet, so it may not be real. But from what I've read, even a software restore doesn't erase every single file jailbreaking leaves behind. So it's possible to scan the iPhone's flash drive for the presense of these files.

Again, not a fact, just something I'd heard.

Bottom line is, as long as someone has the ability to buy a new phone if they HAD to, they shouldn't be afraid of jailbreaking. Probably nothing will go wrong. I wouldn't do it if I was someone who had zero ability to buy a new one if I had to.

9. iPhone envy thread starter macrumors member

Is there a site or link that shows jailbreaking only apps? That has some description of them?

I know people love springboard, but that's not appealing enough for me. If something like Sling worked on a jailbroken phone, that's a whole other game.

10. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I believe that you click disable custom icons when you jailbreak.

11. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

then you would be wrong as far as I know. You can't completely erase an unlock is my understanding.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You automatically void your warranty if you call an Apple Store "MacStore".

13. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

14. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

it has an amazing video recorder app on cydia for iphones called cycorder

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Apple geniuses never look around on the root partition of device, they dont even have access. If you restore to original you are fine.

16. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I just don't understand how a Genius can tell if you have jailbroken your phone if you do a DFU restore and you "erase all content and settings" from your phone.

If they can see old jailbreak files, wont they be able to see old email files as well?

Somebody more tech savvy please explain this to me.

Thanks

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its not the erase content and settings that gets rid of everything, its when you actually write the stock firmware to the phone, it overwrites any changes that where made when jailbreaking, with only a few exceptions (sometimes carrier icons dont change back but that depends on if your merely updating the firmware or actually overwriting everything)

Simply put, restore iphone/ipod = clean slate, your starting from stock.

18. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I don't believe an unlock can be hid but I do believe a jailbreak can. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression earlier.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh your talking about unlocking, thats a whole different thing. I beleive it has to do with the baseband, and messing with that can be a little dangerous if you cant follow instructions.

Id say if you want to jailbreak go for it, unlocking however is best thought of as a one shot deal.

20. musio macrumors 68020

musio

battery drains are worse from all the buggy apps and 'background' things going on from jailbreaking (from what i read)