Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I'm sure a lot of people have stories like this, but this recently happened to me so it is fresh in my memory. I'm walking home from work at night talking to my wife on the cell phone. Suddenly a man runs across the street, points an automatic pistol at me and demands my wallet. When he sees my cell phone, he asks for that too. Without thinking--I certainly would NOT have done this if thinking had been involved--I kick him in the huevos. To his credit, he does not drop the pistol, but he does run away. The thing that scares me still is the last look I had of him: as he his moving away from me, but before he turns to run, he is grabbing his junk with one hand while still pointing the pistol at me with the other. He could have easily shot me, and we both knew it. I owe my life to this fleeting moment, and this thought still scares me.
Carpe diem, indeed.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Many years ago when at my girl friends house I went upstairs to use the bathroom.
When I opened the door my girl friends fat sister was just getting out of the shower. My God what a scary sight. :eek:

FJ

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
You ought to read newspapers a bit more. This event is positively trivial in recent world history no matter which way you consider it.

From the 20th Century Atlas:-

According to the 21 March 1998 Times Union (Albany), the UN Food and Agriculture Organization estimated that 1,000,000 Iraqis, incl. 560,000 children, died as a result of malnutrition and disease caused by the international embargo.
Ramsey Clark: 1,500,000 including 750,000 children [http://www.twf.org/News/Y1997/Ramsey.html]
UNICEF: 500,000 excess child deaths (under-five) 1991 to 1998 [http://www.unicef.org.uk/index_s.asp?sct=news&filen=../news/iraq1.htm]
6 Aug. 1999 CNN [http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/meast/9908/06/iraq.sanctions/]
UN: 1M excess deaths
Al-Thawra newspaper: 1.5M

These are from something as simple as the US led embargo.

The most horrific thing I've seen are poor souls like these. Victims of American terrorism. Pity the 3rd world mums and dads who are left without a cent to raise the ones that live.

I'm not trying to say that worse things haven't happened in the world. I know plenty more people die every month around the world. But I'm not sure that there's been an event that has led to such mass destabilization of the world as that one.

And a very unexpected, large-scale, televised terrorist attack should come as a shock to people...

Oh, and you can't tell me what does or does not shock me.

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
I would have to say,the scariest thing I have ever seen is this.....

You win! :eek: :eek: :eek:

That would be even scarier if he were in close proximity to you.

A few years ago, there was this TV program called Freaky Links. It didn't last long, and was frequently pre-empted. It did have at least one pretty good signature line though: "Ever wake up in the middle of the night, thinking you heard a noise, and wondered if there was someone in your house? What if all the times that ever happened, there really was?"

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
The scariest thing I ever saw was in the mirror.... :D

Actually, I was on a school trip a couple years back, we were staying in DC for a few days, and before I went to bed for the night I was looking out the window, and I think I saw a couple through a window across the street doing it. :eek: It was a very unwelcome sight.

Also, on a more serious note, I saw a cashier at a convinience store get robbed at gun point. I wasn't in the store at the time, I saw it through the window, but it was still scary. I also remember that it was the day before thanksgiving. Seriously, I can't even go to that store anymore without getting unpleasant flashbacks.

And finally, nothing is more scary than almost dieing. I cut my wrist (it was an accident, I'm not and never was suicidal) one morning on my way out the door to school. It was nasty, and my dad rushed me to the hospital (thank god there was one right down the street), and I got my arm stiched up. The doctor told me that I was very lucky, and the cut just missed a vital artery. I was released from the hospital withing an hour. But all near death stories have to have a funny conclusion, and this one is no different. When I was all stitched up, and got my bandages, my dad was allowed into the room. I asked him "is the dog okay".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.