What is the scope of Window management? What can it do and cannot?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bythckr, Mar 13, 2017.

1. bythckr macrumors newbie

I want to do something and I think its called windows management, but I am not sure. I tried tools like Moom, stay. I am yet to try Hammerspoon(active dev fork of mjolnir), Slate.

Since I use a 22 inch display at work, this is how I work. I want to divide my screen into parts, so the whole screen is 6x4. 2x2 on the right for the browser, below that 2x2 for iterm. Then the remaining 4x4 on left for sublime. I want to open the chrome in full screen mode within that 2x2 block. So I get more screen real estate and access the location bar when needed. Now I am using chrome in app mode and there no way to access the location bar. Plus I spend a while setting it up daily and sometime couple of times during the day. So I want to automate it.

1. Is what I listed possible with hammerspoon or slate or is there any better way to get it?
    2. Is it possible to view the app in fullscreen mode inside the assigned block? Is it possible to make the app treat the assigned block as the whole screen?

2. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Please share a pen(cil) drawing of what you want. A picture says more than a thousand words! ;)

Cheers

3. bythckr thread starter macrumors newbie

Why pencil if I can show you the screenshot? This is how I arrange my screen.
    [​IMG]

4. m4v3r1ck, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017

m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Move the windows to 1 space, adjust them to the size required. Use CMD+Q to quit all windows by closing the apps separately. When opening the same applications again, they will have the same size and position, when you last cmd+Q them.

EDIT-1 One more thing: In your setup, when you click on the Chrome windows, the localhost window will be hidden behind the Chrome window.

EDIT-2 Please don't forget to tweak your Mission Control in System Preferences.

[​IMG]
    Cheers