What is the secret to getting a good thumb print?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfpackfan, Oct 22, 2014.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

About half the time I can't unlock my iPhone 6 with my thumb print. Is there a secret to recording a good thumb print and then unlocking with it? Like I said about half the time I have to key in my passcode. Unfortunately to use Apple Pay you have to have passcode turned on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

When capturing your print, cover the whole home button. When unlocking, do the same. The edge capture feature is for the top or side of your finger. Both work for me. Also, capture two or three fingers.

3. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Clean phone and clean hands
    I use all slots for my thumb and it works flawlessly for me
    I don't think I've had it not work yet.

4. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I'd delete the ones you have in there now and start fresh. Register more than one finger. Make sure your hands aren't wet..or too dry. Make sure you are moving your finger around just slightly when you are registering it as instructed. Don't just tap the exact same place, be sure to get the sides. I'd say my TouchID works 95% of the time. When it doesn't, it's because I've just washed my hands or put on lotion. 50% failure is a lot. Your phone may be defective if reregistering your fingerprints don't work.

5. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

The above is good advice.

I'll add that getting someone you trust who already uses Touch ID to both demonstrate methods and test your device is a good idea as well. This will help rule out hardware issues in the process.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

clean dry finger is important, other than that when you register it make sure you put you finger on in different angles to accomedate how you might me holding it that time you are using it

7. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for all the tips. I will give them a try.

8. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

We all tend to use one finger primarily to unlock. For me, it's my right thumb, so I registered my right thumb three times. I registered it in the various positions I might hold my phone in (i.e. from the side as if holding the phone normally in portrait mode, straight up from the bottom as if it was sitting on a desk and I put my thumb on it to unlock and the third I tried to make sure I got all the edges and tip more.

Then I put my left thumb and left index finger in the other slots. Works flawlessly.

9. TomTomHatesCats macrumors regular

TomTomHatesCats

I thought of doing this myself, but the paranoid side of me worried that it might bog down the function a bit. So, I just registered each thumb once.

To chime in on OP's question, the only time my thumb print doesn't work is after washing my hands and not drying them thoroughly.

10. Old Yeller macrumors newbie

Old Yeller

Do three different scans of the same normal unlock finger as described above BUT... Do one with very dry clean skin, normal during the day with a little dirt skin and just after a shower but obviously dried off skin. This got mine to 99% and I'm a part time mechanic with rough dirt stained fingerprints. This scanning will cover most skin condition changes throughout the daily routine.

11. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

One thing I have done is used two of the five finger print slots for the same thumb, just used it at a different angle - I don't know if that helps, but my results have been really good.

Also, note how you usually use the finger when unlocking - totally vertical? tilted a little to one side? then replicate that when doing the finger print.

12. darkside flow macrumors 6502

My touch ID just isn't working the way it was on my 5S. Looking to go get a replacement. I'm getting close to 80% failure rate and even registering a thumb print in the settings fails 3 out of 4 times. Says to use a different finger.. I only have one dominant thumb, sorry! Not sure if it's hardware or software. Right after I registered a thumb print it works perfect. 30 mins later, no go.

13. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Wash your hands first before you record your print.

----------

So far, I am at 100% accuracy.

14. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Something sounds wrong. I put in both thumbs and my dominant pointer. I've had no issues with the scanner detecting my prints. I kept putting in the print with the center and then the edges. I never paid any attention to having clean fingers but they were dry with no hand Cream on them.

15. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I can use both thumbs and both pointer fingers. I can use any of these at any angle even upside-down, just tried it, and it works. The trick it to place the center of the finger you are using in the middle of the home button. By the way, you don't have to press down on the home button, just lay it over the home button when it's reading your print.

16. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

I tried that. I may add my thumb as a third one also. I am still getting misses with two. I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with my iPhone 6.

17. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Have you tried getting a trusted friend to scan in thier print to test it?

18. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I think some people just have issues with their prints. these things aren't perfect, and while it seems to work fantastic for the vast majority of people, i think it's reasonable that some people's prints just don't work well with touch id. I have really dry skin and eczema issues and my phone rarely recognizes my prints. i've tried all my fingers. actually, it does immediately work after registering a print but then just stops working a few minutes later. a couple of my cleaner fingers will allow me to use the touch id succesfully once in a while, but not consistently. it sucks. my wife and daughter have no issues so i don't 'think' it's my phone, though perhaps mine doesn't work as well as others. i don't feel like trying to get it replaced right now because i feel it'll just be more of the same, and i'd probably get a refurb.