Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac 2.0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Well I know nobody knows what apple is going to do for sure, but has anyone heard or read any rumors or previews? Such as more gigs or a speaker, etc. Im trying to decide whether waiting till September to get a touch is worth it or not...

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
Well I know nobody knows what apple is going to do for sure, but has anyone heard or read any rumors or previews? Such as more gigs or a speaker, etc. Im trying to decide whether waiting till September to get a touch is worth it or not...

I'm pretty sure the general opinion involves dropping the 8GB, moving the 16/32GB prices down, and perhaps another size.

But that's just my general gathering. Anyone else?

fliptastic

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
ipod touch possilbe update

when i ordered a refurb'd 16gb touch the other day, i talked to a rep who guessed that they might end up adding gps hardware. not that he knows for sure. apple won't tell them anything. but it makes sense to add at least basic gps capabilities (hardware) for programs like loopt. i have a dedicated gps (tomtom) so i don't really care. my guess is that they'll make the 8gb an ipod touch "lite" without gps for either $199 or $249 while keeping the price points the same for the 16 gb and 32 gb. or maybe they'll drop all of them by $50 or so. maybe new colors and longer battery life too? just speculating.

fliptastic

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
question for dasikes

quick question. about how many movies (with avg. length) can you put on your 16 gb touch? how compressed are they? thanks!

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
quick question. about how many movies (with avg. length) can you put on your 16 gb touch? how compressed are they? thanks!

For DVDs, I compress with Handbrake (its a free app). As far as size, I'll have to look at my home computer to let you know that. I'll post later.

fliptastic

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
thanks. i am aware of handbrake. i'm mainly just wondering how many movies you can get on that bad boy by squeezing ipod compressed movies out of handbrake vs. larger "tv" sized files. are they about a half gb each? what about tv episodes? either way, i'm glad i splurged a little and got the 16 gig instead of the 8. 32 would be even nicer but it costs too much for me. Thanks again!

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
As I said, when i get back from the office, I'll do the math :)

The funny thing is, the ACTUAL space on the 16GB Touch is ~14.5GB, which makes the 8GB only ~6.5GB!!

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
we dont know, please append to the 6.02X10^23 other threads

The funny thing is, the ACTUAL space on the 16GB Touch is ~14.5GB, which makes the 8GB only ~6.5GB!!

no, 7.08, with 2.0 7.27 without

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY

Wrong - a buddy of mine just got her Touch activated last night. We synced just over 7gb of music to it. If my memory serves me right, it was 7.47gb available running out-of-the-box 1.1.4.

PMB - beat me to it. :p 7.47 / 7.27 - one of those.

fliptastic

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
ipod touch storage

thanks again. that's another reason i went with the 16 gb over the 8. i always forget that some of the memory is used for other things. either way, my guess is that the new touch will either have more memory or a price drop. or both. maybe an external speaker too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.