Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caezar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Every software has a Services menu under the Application Menu (i.e. Firefox menu for Firefox, etc.).

It contains the following sub-menus: DiskUtility, FileMerge, Finder, FontBook, etc.

I never used it. What is it for?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Essentially Services are "abilities" that varous programs or utilities can offer to any open application.

The ones you're seeing are the ones you get from a "stock" installation--the ones offered by Text Edit, Disk Utility. and so on.

An example of one I use frequently is a small application for doing fancy Unicode stuff. It offers a service that converts any selected block of text to the appropriate HTML unicode codes. This is tremendously useful for inserting a few non-English characters into a web page without having to mess with character sets or look up anything.

There are probably thousands of services available--you can basically either browse through what's there based on what you already installed, or if you want a particular service (like the Unicode conversion I use), hunt around for an app that provides it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.