What is the Services menu for?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Caezar, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Caezar macrumors 6502

Every software has a Services menu under the Application Menu (i.e. Firefox menu for Firefox, etc.).

It contains the following sub-menus: DiskUtility, FileMerge, Finder, FontBook, etc.

I never used it. What is it for?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Essentially Services are "abilities" that varous programs or utilities can offer to any open application.

The ones you're seeing are the ones you get from a "stock" installation--the ones offered by Text Edit, Disk Utility. and so on.

An example of one I use frequently is a small application for doing fancy Unicode stuff. It offers a service that converts any selected block of text to the appropriate HTML unicode codes. This is tremendously useful for inserting a few non-English characters into a web page without having to mess with character sets or look up anything.

There are probably thousands of services available--you can basically either browse through what's there based on what you already installed, or if you want a particular service (like the Unicode conversion I use), hunt around for an app that provides it.

3. Caezar thread starter macrumors 6502