What is the shortest cable (or most-compact non-OEM charging solution) currently?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by benguild, May 5, 2015.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

Hot on the heels of a thread about a Lightning to Apple Watch charging adapter... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1873551 ...

Apple's shortest cable available is 3 feet, and I really want something shorter for my work bag. I only need to charge when I'm doing software development work on the watch (because that eats the battery much more than average daily casual use), and so I'm always near the device and it shouldn't be floating around anyway.

Is anything non-OEM compatible and compact? Just wondering! I doubt Apple has any plans to offer a 0.5m (or less) cord, but it could come sometime....

Maybe a small "dock" or "pad" or something? I just saw the thread about Qi devices not working...

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I am puzzled. When I pre-ordered my Watch, I also ordered an extra cable--the 6-ft cable. These cables are extremely flexible and will easily fit in just about any pocket of almost any bag that you own. You say that you are always near the device? My experience tells me that if your charging cable is shorter than 3 feet long, that you won't be close to it while charging. While renting a hotel room or staying with friends, I find that I am usually more than 3 feet from the nearest wall outlet. In my own apartment, my bed is more than 3 feet from the nearest wall outlet.

It is your money and you can spend it on whatever you want. However, my advice to you is to get the 6-ft cable. You will not regret it.

3. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm talking about charging it from my computer while I test apps on it... next to the computer. I don't want 6ft of cable coiled up and getting tangled in my work bag.

4. Glene macrumors 6502

I don't think it would be too hard to take a 1 m cable and splice out two feet of it at a radio repair /electronics company that does professional soldering… For 10 or 15 bucks…

5. BeyondtheTech, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015

BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I'm on the fence of cutting my extra Apple Watch cable down from the 1m to 1.5".

I've cut and spliced before, but instead of reconnecting the four wires, I'd probably just solder it into a new connector.

[​IMG]

A 10-pack of these are just over $5 on eBay and Amazon.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DIY-USB...874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9cc15172

• Cut wire
    • Run it through the sheath and white cover
    • Tie a knot or glue at the sheath
    • Open up the wire and solder to the 4 connectors
    • Glue the white cover to the USB connector

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Cutting down the cord does not seem like a particularly good idea.

7. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nor should it be necessary.

8. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Something like this sounds like it might work for you.

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I've done it for a couple of cheap cables and it worked fine, but not sure I'd attempt it on an Apple cable with the amount they cost to replace.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You may have your reasons for wanting a shorter cable, but they are not necessary by any stretch of the imagination. There is nothing that you can do with a 75 cm cable that you can't do with a 2 m cable.

11. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you carry a 90 foot extension cord in your work bag or backpack then because it's more versatile? I just gave the example of not wanting to coil it up in my bag and have it get tangled with other stuff. The shorter the better.