what is the "SIM" tool for?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cenetti, Jul 18, 2008.

1. cenetti macrumors 6502

Why do I need it?
    They didn't even open the box in the store, I opened it at home. Also, the minute he updated my info on that handheld unit (apple guy) my 1st gen iphone lost connection (no service) and my new 3G (still in the box) started getting the service.

So I never switched SIM cards... whats that tool for?

2. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

To open the SIM tray in the iPhone to get the SIM out.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Well you'd need to get the SIM card out if it were a faulty unit, or if you for some reason had to put it into another iPhone...

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Say you do something horrible to your iPhone like dropping it in the tub, and now it no longer functions. You should be able to eject the sim card and use it in another phone until you can get your iPhone repaired.

Of course, a paper-clip could do what the tool does, but I guess they just wanted something a little more stylish.

Oh, and of course it can be used to prep for all sorts of unlocking fun if that's your bag.

6. viggen61 macrumors 6502

If you need to return your iPhone for replacement or repair, you need to take out your SIM card. That's the connection between you and your carrier. When you get the replacement, you install your SIM card.

:apple::apple:

7. sananda macrumors 68020

o2 users needed it.

Attached Files:

• o2.jpg
      o2.jpg
      File size:
      66.8 KB
      Views:
  8. cenetti thread starter macrumors 6502

9. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

I had to use it in the Apple Store - once the O2 contract was all set up (and only once that was so - my Apple salesperson (some kind of supervisor) had to quietly break off from my setup to "tell off" one of his colleagues for letting a customer hold the iPhone box before the contract was all finalised :eek: but I overheard...)
    Anyway once the contract was set up, he gave me a pocketknife to help get the cellophane off the box, said "I just need you to hold the iPhone in your hand for a minute or so...feels good doesn't it?" (A bit OTT if you ask me :rolleyes:) Then I had to use the SIM removal tool to open the sim tray and insert the new SIM card from the O2 pack. Can't imagine I'll need it again, bar the kind of dropping it in the bath-tub accidents already mentioned in this thread...

10. cenetti thread starter macrumors 6502

so ok, say if I want to sell my 1st gen iphone, do I need to take the SIM out?
    or stays in the phone? at this point it's useless right? old AT&T SIM?

11. sibruk macrumors 6502a

It's there so that you can give the O2 staff a full frontal lobotomy there on the spot - for lying to you whilst you were in line about how many phones they had. Well, that's what I plan to do with mine when I eventually get my phone anyway.

Are you getting bitterness? :D

12. yode macrumors 6502

take the SIM out lol