What is the ssd model for macbook air 11.6 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by montblanc1, Oct 31, 2010.

1. montblanc1 macrumors member

I may need to upgrae my MBP with a new ssd hard drive recently. It seems as if the new macbook air's 64 SSD is a pretty decent one, so I am just wondering what is the model of this SSD? Anyone can give me detail information? Thx

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's a custom Apple circuit board connecting to a custom port. You cannot buy one. You cannot install one in a MBP.

3. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

It isn't one, its the Nand Chips soldered onto a little board with a controller.

4. montblanc1 thread starter macrumors member

If that's the case, what about the intel 160GB laptop ssd?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If I was going to splash out on a SSD I'd personally want one with a Sandforce controller as they seem to be the best in the reviews.

6. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I just bought a Crucial Realssd C300 256GB ssd drive. It should arrive on Tues. If you haven't bought anything by then ... I will give you my take on it. It seems to have some of the fastest speeds out, doesn't require trim and it a bit future proofed as it is 6gb Sata ... (please Apple give us this soon!)

7. barmann macrumors 6502

Ouch ;)

8. montblanc1 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, from the newegg.com, it seems as if it's the fastest. But us the crucial brand as reliable as intel or kingston, which are reputable manufacturer?

9. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I have two of them in the lab. Their READ speed is fast if they are on 6Gb/s interface. On the 3Gb/s interface, they READ slower than the OCZ Vertex 2 and OWC Mercury Extreme and Crucial M225.

And no matter what interface you have, they are slower than the others on WRITE speed.

10. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The SSD in the 11.6" is the same as the new 2010 13" model. It is on a NAND Flash card developed by Toshiba for Apple. 3rd party vendors are currently working on several solutions for upgrade cards which can replace the current SSD with up to a 256GB card. It is on a removable Flash card and CAN be upgraded. The NAND Flash storage device is NOT soldered to the mainboard in the MacBook, Air, it is removable. The RAM chip is soldered to the board, however, and cannot be upgraded.

[​IMG]

PhotoFast is one of the 3rd party developers currently developing a NAND Flash upgrade card for the MacBook Air:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/27/macbook-air-upgrade-kit-bumps-capacity-to-256gb-turns-old-modul/

11. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Did some research on the realssd before I got it. I read that it had garbage collection and knew that Snow Leopard did not have trim. I didn't realize that write speeds could get as far at of whack as I am seeing some people reporting. I guess I will try it out for my use and then either cross fingers for a firmware update to solve the OSX issue with the ssd / hope that Apple supports 6GB or trim support later. If none of that pans out I can build a Windows machine for work (our main program is WinBlows only which I am running on VMWare) or sell the SSD on eBay etc.