What is the story of your school?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Dec 23, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

My high school was founded after World War II and started a football game rivalry with equally tiny high school where the prize is a bronzed shoe. For all those years, slightly after the founding of the school, alums from their school and my school, even senior citizens, talk about who "won" the "shoe". OK, I am a redneck (from Asian farmer stock, common in California then) and before anybody puts in a Jeff Foxworthy joke, I said it, there! At least we are not fighting over a bronzed horseshoe. :)

My college started, ok you guessed it, as an ag school. But before that in 1901, they built up the location and started it as a "high school" in 1903, became a two year college by 1933, and offered their first BA in 1940. I did my first 2.5 years there. It is now Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo.

My second college, where I finished the remainder of undergrad, started in 1853 as a religious Young Men's Christian Association school as a reading room, and added a law school in 1901, and then was named Golden Gate College in 1923, much later to be called Golden Gate University.

Even great world class schools, which I was never able to get into, had humble beginnings like the above schools. Guess this school. Started in 1855 from horse farm, offered four year degrees but was called L.S. Junior College, but did not open its doors until far later in 1891 and had a little known youngster sleep in their dorms on the first night. This kid became President many years later. Guess that school.

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

My high school, The Met, was started a little over 10 years ago by an old guy with a funny hat. In fact there's a book about him. He believes that high school should be a time when young people begin exploring their interests and learning about them and how they can apply to the real world, as well as learning real world skills, as well as actively preparing students for college. The school has one of the highest college attendance rates in the country, so they must be doing something right.

As for my college, New England Tech, I don't know the story behind them but they have a great graphic design program.

PS: I actually know Mr Littky, the founder of my high school, he's probably the only famous person I've met. I actually gave one of his partners a series of Mac tutorials. I don't mean to brag though. ;)

3. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

From wikipedia:

The oldest building at the former County School for Girls in Guildford date from the time of the First World War. More buildings were added during the following sixty years. In 1978, the girls' grammar school became a mixed 12-18 comprehensive school. Between 1977 and 1979, a second teaching block was built together with another gymnasium.

There was a teacher that left a few years ago who taught at the school when it was still a girl's school! :eek:

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

As opposed to boy's grammar? ;)

Is that a school where there is a boys bathroom and the girls have to just hold it in until they get home? :)

5. Domanic macrumors regular

My old high school: (Durrington High)
    "The school was opened as Worthing Junior Technical School for Building in 1949 at Union Place, Worthing. It moved to its location on The Boulevard in 1957 being renamed as Worthing Technical High School. In 1973 the school merged with the county secondary girls' school which had previously been housed at Ringmer Road since before World War II . At this stage it took on its current name."

Can't find anything on my current college (Worthing College), I know it was built in the '50s though...

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Here's an abridged history of the place that made my life a misery for years:

King Henry VIII

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

1994. Entered high school.

1998. I graduated.

Those were the most important years that p.o.s. school ever had. Hey, my high school was 5 years old when I first attended. ;)

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Mine was founded in 1440 and it's been going downhill ever since.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My high school was started in 1891 with gun money from Hotchkiss et Cie as a prep school for boys who wanted to go to Yale...aside from opening up to girls in the 70s, it hasn't changed much in 107 years.

In 1795 my college was the first higher-education institution chartered by New York State, it was founded as one of the first non religiously affiliated colleges in the country. It's also called the 'mother of fraternities', as greek social organizations first started up there.

Pretty easy to infer the names of my schools, but I'll let you figure them out. :p

10. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Let me guess, if you guess my horse farm school above in first post

My wife is from East Coast with relatives that went to similar schools. For prep school, the Remington School in CT, NY, NJ, or RI? More than one of those, though. Built through guilt. I live near rival gun maker, Winchester, and they have the famous Winchester mystery house in San Jose. Also, famously built through guilt to house ghosts who died from Winchester guns. Guns killed a lot of people in 18th and 19th centuries and to "go to heaven", gun makers helped society late in life of founders. Carnegie is another example of bad man turned good. And Bill Gates, well, he he. :)

College, as non religious, New York? That would by NYU, correct?

I didn't wiki these guesses. :)

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Founded in 1971, and you can tell...

Only notable nugget of nicety to come out of reading up on it was the 2 founders of Codemasters: David and Richard Darling, both attended there. Woooo! :rolleyes:

In 2005 it went into special measures because of my years poor GCSE results and rumors of alot of the unruly pupils (around 40%) being sent home whilst there was an OFSTED inspection, which it still managed to fail. It's now doing ok, although it really does need a lick of paint.

12. Lateralus11 macrumors newbie

My school fired the first shots of the Civil War.

13. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

HAAAAAAAAAAA

My NY wife caught the clue, "up there", meaning up state, something a rural California boy like me would never know. Union College, touche!

14. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Ditto. Except mine was founded in 1608.

15. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

From former MNCC website: The Akwesasne Freedom School is an independent elementary school, grades pre-K through 8, run by the Mohawk Nation. Akwesasne, "the land where the partridge drums," is located on the St. Lawrence River in upstate New York. The school was founded in 1979 by Mohawk parents concerned that their language and culture would slowly die. In 1985, a Mohawk language immersion program was begun. It is the only program if its kind in the United States. The Mohawk "Thanksgiving Address," which teaches gratitude to the earth and everything on it, is used as a curriculum base. Students study reading, writing, math, science, history and the Mohawk ceremonial cycle. The Akwesasne Freedom School combines solid academics with a strong foundation in Mohawk culture.

My highschool, I'm not sure, I know its really old and it kinda smells bad. I think its one of the oldest ones in Eastern Ontario, something like that.

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

My High school was founded 3 years ago :/..its probably the best High school in the county (Fairfax, and we're one of the highest rated counties in US)

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I should add...

1996: My teacher tried to run me over with his SUV. Fun times. :p

18. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

From Wiki:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No real story to ours. It's just a jock off series of huge buildings in a very expensive part of the borough, which is why they're selling up and moving to the less expensive next-door village. So the expensive village is about to get ultra packed out with flats and the already narrow roads are going to be clogged 24/7, not just at school start and finish.

[​IMG]
    It's missing some stuff to the right, about 25% more stuff and another sports field.
    Ah well :eek:

20. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

Stanford

21. bartelby macrumors Core

One great bit from Wiki on my old school:

He taught me maths for a year or two...

and there's more:
    Randall was also one of my teachers

22. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

mister ed says yes ;)

you win a carrot

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

My old school is most famous for the number of staff who have been caught shagging pupils in recent years. The first to be prosecuted was my old art teacher.

24. lamadude macrumors 6502

My school was founded in 1425 and is the oldest and largest catholic university in the world. Some notable alumni include Erasmus, Vesalius, Mercator etc. The Big Bang theory on the creation of the universe was first proposed here, more recently the AES encryption standard was developed here which is probably being used on your mac right now ;-)

Kudos to the first who can come up with the name but it shouldn't be too hard ;-)

25. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Mine, Northeast Sr. High, was opened in 1928 and originally named Herbert Hoover High. After the stock market crash, it was renamed Herman Goering High after the German native visited as our town was a sister city to his home town, Rosenheim, Bavaria. Just at the outset of WWII, it was again renamed McCarthy High. Just after the McCarthy hearings in 1954, it was once again renamed, this time after a local businessman Elmer T. Wettleston. Wettleston was convicted in 1969 of murder, so it was renamed Spiro Agnew High School. Of course we know what happened there. Tired of names, the school board decided on South High. When asked "South of what?", it was decided to flip a fork on the air and see how it landed, hence Northeast.
    I got exillint learnin their.