Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
after a few nights with the iPad 10, I’m already annoyed using Touch ID instead of Face ID. Is there some sort of technical limitation why Apple chose to use Touch ID instead?
Curious if there is any chance of enabling this in future via a software update?

• Haha
Reactions: Reggaenald

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
after a few nights with the iPad 10, I’m already annoyed using Touch ID instead of Face ID. Is there some sort of technical limitation why Apple chose to use Touch ID instead?
Curious if there is any chance of enabling this in future via a software update?

TouchID is for lower cost devices in Apple's hierarchy.

It doesn't have the sensors to do it, so no, a software update won't enable it.

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Shame to skimp out on something like this…learned something new. iPhone is base mode and has Face ID. I guess there is an iPhone SE which only uses Touch ID. But there is no iPad SE. Another confusing part of Apple’s line up and naming conventions.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Shame to skimp out on something like this…learned something new. iPhone is base mode and has Face ID. I guess there is an iPhone SE which only uses Touch ID. But there is no iPad SE. Another confusing part of Apple’s line up and naming conventions.

Luckily the features are fully laid out on the web site plus there is a generous two weeks to test the devices not to forget the extended return periods etc plus the additional free information like reviews etc. All it takes is doing my due diligence when making a purchase decision.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The decision is all about cost. Those Face ID modules are not cheap. If you ever notice iPhone lineup, even iPhone 13 starts from $599. iPad 10th gen? $449 starting price. That’s $150 difference right here.
Obviously I am talking About Apple price and discounts can be found elsewhere, but you get the gist.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
iPad, iPad mini, iPad Air, iPad Pro. I dont believe that that is particularly confusing.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
iphone se has no face id.

the iphones aren’t “base model” the tech in them is higher tier than they put in ipad and Macs mostly. the macbook pros are still touchID

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My guess is that it's cost related. In that it's cheaper to include a fingerprint sensor over facial recognition.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
It definitely does not. If you have an iPad that has Face ID, it's an iPad Pro.
I know, the first comment prompted me to ask maybe something new in iOS17.

personally the Face ID works on the iPhone since that is away or stored, then used
while the iPad is right there and a quick touch from a finger activates that in a second.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I know, the first comment prompted me to ask maybe something new in iOS17.

personally the Face ID works on the iPhone since that is away or stored, then used
while the iPad is right there and a quick touch from a finger activates that in a second.

Face ID is not a software feature. I encourage you to look it up prior to making any further claims.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
there's no technical limitation, it's Tim Cook's limitation!!!
Apple have the ability to R&D and make a solution but Tim doesn't allow them to do it.

I am not so sure that he reviews every product feature in great detail. What Tim does probably not allow “them” as in his staff is to come up with products that don’t return profit. That’s how they got their finances in order back when Jobs brought Cook in as his right hand, amongst other things of course.

Reactions: sparksd

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I, on the other hand, wonder what is the technical limitation why Apple’s Face ID devices don’t also offer Touch ID. ;)

Why would you assume that is a technical limitation? My guess is they want to offer one convenient way of unlocking the device to keep things simple. Their marketing will also very likely position Face ID as better than Touch ID to increase update rates.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
Face ID is great, and I do hope it comes to more Apple devices, but the components are more complicated and expensive than a simple camera. Would you be willing to spend an extra $100 to get Face ID in your basic iPad?

I also agree that it'd be cool if you could get Touch ID in the lock/power button on all devices, whether or not they have Face ID. Heck, give me the option to require both before unlocking, for those who need maximum security!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Why would you assume that is a technical limitation? My guess is they want to offer one convenient way of unlocking the device to keep things simple. Their marketing will also very likely position Face ID as better than Touch ID to increase update rates.

Exactly. The teams are likely constrained by Designed-to-Cost, a fairly standard cost management technique.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
iPad, iPad mini, iPad Air, iPad Pro. I dont believe that that is particularly confusing.
If I were naming the lines, I’d adjust them like this:

iPad -> iPad SE
iPad mini merged with iPad Air, simply have 8.3 and 10.9 sizes
iPad Pro - same as before

iPhone SE stays as is
iPhone -> iPhone Air (Plus branding eliminated, simply have just 6.1 and 6.7 sizes)
iPhone Pro (eliminate Pro Max branding, simply just call it 6.3 and 6.9)

Watch SE stays as is
Watch aluminum -> Watch Air
Watch steel -> Watch Pro
Watch Ultra stays as is

MacBooks stay as Air and Pro

This leaves Ultra branding for an even more hardcore iPad and iPhone.

When Vision comes out, Vision Pro. Lower cost lightweight version, Vision Air. Even more souped up version, Vision Ultra. Then a ultra basic Vision, Vision SE.

Easy suffixes to denote the tiers: SE -> Air -> Pro -> Ultra

This way, all Apple mobile devices will use the same aligned branding.

Desktops will be another story for another day.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I got my iPhone SE.2 right before Covid, and I was glad to have Touch ID while wearing a mask (and yes I know Face ID was modded to look more at the eyes, soon after). It didn’t bother me.
I’m also old enough to remember having to start Dad’s Allis-Chalmers with the crank at the front of the tractor, because the battery was too weak when eastern South Dakota hit -10º F. To read all these “Eww-eww-I-don’t-wanna-have-to-touch-a-button” posts, OMGWTFBBQ. :rolleyes:

And Get Off my lawn, dammit! :p

Reactions: BobVB
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.