Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
What is the typical workstation used by iOS and macOS developers at Apple?

I'll offer a guess, for kicks.

I'll guess iOS and macOS developers typically run a high end version of the 2013 MacPro, with two LG UltraFine 4K displays making Apple development the #1 purchaser of MacPros and LG UltraFine 4K displays in the world.

I'd make a fun bet the majority of new MacPro sales since April 2014 have been to Apple, supplying computers to its staff.

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
Wouldn't be surprised if most of their devs use MacBook Pros like me, to be perfectly honest. No developer needs a Xeon, I don't care how hardcore they are. Perhaps a new Mac Mini, but definitely not the Mac Pro, or iMac Pro.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Not a developer at Apple, but I get by just fine with an LG 5K and a tMBP.

If something heavier is required it’s best handled by some remote cluster.

I don’t really know what individuals do with maxed out Mac Pros.

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
I develop iOS apps just fine on my 2014 MacBook Pro. There isn’t a noticeable speed difference to the developer in my team who has a 2016 Touch Bar MacBook Pro. You really do not need a super high end Mac for most software development.

Most Mac Pro’s were probably sold to professional video editors.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I’m curious too! I’m guessing some kind of desktop? I know I prefer my combination of 5K + 4K much more than working with my MacBook Pro, even though it handles it all well enough. I just use it now if I need to take my work with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.