What is the ultimate laptop for entertainment purposes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fady, Jul 16, 2009.

1. fady macrumors newbie

I am having a hard time deciding on which laptop I should buy. I narrowed my search down to:
    -HP's HDX18,
    -MacBook Pro, t
    -Dell XPS 16,
    -Sony Vaio AW (with the 18 inch screen).

I watch movies in abundance. My film and music libraries are about 500GB. I also enjoy taking and editing movies and pictures. Weight is not an issue.

I would be very thankful if you can help me choose which of these LTs is the most enjoyable. I'm going to Grad School in France next September. My laptop should be my main source of entertainment.

Thank you for your help

Fady

2. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Well I hate to tell ya this, but you're on a Mac forum :)

You would best to sign up at notebookreview forums and ask there for an unbiased answer.

BTW - Macbook Pro all the way!

3. fady thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm certain I can find an answer to my question on this forum. As a movie junkie, I want my laptop to play blu-ray. But if the MacBook Pro offers a better experience (watching a movie: picture, sound, etc.) then I'd go for a Mac.

4. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

well

besides glossy/matte

w/ a mac, you have better software..
    ilife w/ iphoto and imovie alone can outweigh the benefits of using a PC. Of course windows has great software too but honestly, ilife is the bomb. its easy and it looks good

movie wise, dude... VLC is on mac and windows

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Get the Viao with a BD drive. Buy a huge external HDD. Or wait for a big 2.5'' HDD to come out.

6. RolandVet macrumors member

Mbp

The sony?

Nah it has 1.5 to 2 hours of battery so a good movie will probably shorten this life to .5 to 1 hour!

Not sure about the battery life of the rest but they don't look that good either.

If you think you really need your blue-ray get one the window's laptop. On the other hand you can get a third party usb blue-ray external optical-drive.

If you find battery life unimportant and want movability, not portability, you could get the window's laptop.

I personally would go with the 17" MBP so that you can actually watch a movie completely while on the road!:apple:

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Macs don't support blu-ray, at least for video.

Is that battery life quoted from Sony? You can always get extra batteries if that is the actual battery life.

8. RolandVet macrumors member

Sony states the 1.5-2 hours.

Does MacOS not support Bluray at all:eek:. That's a dissapointment!

9. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

For what your needs in order:

1) Sony Vaio (not sure about the battery though)
    2) HP's HDX18
    3) Dell
    4) MBP

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Not a macbook pro. Not a mac at all. Unless you wanted to dump 10,000 on a macpro, but even then a pc that cost 10000 will prob be way better.

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I'd go with the new Sony FW400 series. They use ATI 4650 GPU (unlike the AW which uses nvidia :( )and are much easier to take with you. The 18" laptops are just too big to move around. That said, the HP Bluray connectivity is better than the Sony. Both work, the HP just has the neat remote and better software for playback and control.

Cheers,

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why don't you just buy a cheap laptop and a high definition tv?