What is the warranty for Students?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LondonGooner, Aug 7, 2008.

1. LondonGooner macrumors 6502

I've read in a few places that the Higher Education store gives a free 3 year guarantee??
    I bought my Macbook in the UK from the NUS (Student) website in August 2006, does anyone know if the NUS store had this 3 year offer too? This store no longer exists, so I cant check.

So far I just found this thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-239311.html

Edit:
    Just found this
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=193956

I AM SO HAPPY! Time to go fix my cracked keyboard and faulty wifi!!!
    Now I just need to prove to them I bought from the Higher Education store. I have the 3 emails they sent me when I purchased my mac, which should do the trick. The annoying thing is when I went to get my MagSafe cable changed (melted) they couldnt find any record of me, so I had to spend an hour looking for those 3 emails.

2. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Mine didn't and i'm an Oct '06 MacBook... I'm just ordering an iMac and they've offered me an extra discount with NUS as well as AppleCare for £38

Try ringing to find out.

3. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm I checked, mine is 15/07/2006. The screen shot in that thread above is from 3 months before then. I bought it from the same NUS store as the screenshot shows, and I doubt that 3 year offer was removed by july. Do you know which number I can ring to find out, before I go my nearest apple store (about an hour away)

edit:
    this thread seems to confirm the continuation of HE guarantee
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=354239

edit 2:
    # Special three year parts and labour coverage, with additional first-year warranty and support benefits, as standard
    http://www.apple.com/uk/education/hed/nationalcontract/

4. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors 6502

:D:D

Our records indicate that your product is covered under Apple's Limited Warranty which is estimated to expire on 19 July 2009.

Your product is not eligible for complimentary phone support.

If you believe that this information is inaccurate, learn how to update your coverage status. Please put your sales receipt in a safe place. You will need it for warranty validation.

Extend your service and support coverage for your product with the AppleCare Protection Plan. If you have already purchased an AppleCare Protection Plan, make sure you have registered it.

Visit the MacBook support page.

Please note: You will be charged for the costs of any repair unless you can provide valid proof of purchase to update the status of your coverage.

anyone know what the limited warranty is?

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

That would be AppleSpeak for the 3 year HE (non AppleCare) warranty - if that is what you got when you put your serial number in then you have a warranty till 19 July 2009 (and it is transferable to someone who may not be a student)

6. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors 6502

Yah thats what I got.
    But will they repair it for me then?

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Cracked keyboard - known problem - is this cracks/splits along the front palmrest area ? If so I cannot see a problem (especially if any sign of yellowing which is likely for an early MacBook).

Faulty wifi - yes (could be anything but cannot see why it would not be covered under warranty).

Just take it to an Apple Store or give them a phone.

In a word - yes.

8. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool I have an appointment with them tomorrow, hope it's ok. Or I'll make a scene (LOL)

Can I use time machine to back up documents and then format my mac?

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - if you have an external drive.

Are you worried that you will lose your data or just don't want Apple employees to see what is on your disc ??

10. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Just put the files you dont want to be seen in a folder, then use an encryption app. There's plenty of em. Backing up isnt a bad idea, just to be safe, though.

11. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I have an external.
    Both factors really. Lots of personal stuff on it as well as family pics / work data.

Thanks for help guys. One last question, anyone know how to save fire fox bookmarks

12. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Well - what happened - did you have to make a scene or is everything about to be fixed for you............

13. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors 6502

They were much more polite than the staff at Reagent Street (I went bluewater).

They are replacing the keyboard i think for the cracks.
    And said would test the wifi.
    Got an answer machine message today saying it was ready to pick up, so i'll go get it next weekend.

14. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Well done Bluewater - turnaround time of a few hours by the sound of it.

It will feel like a new machine with the new topcase.

15. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah he took it in close to 3pm saturday & said I could have it at 7pm if it was just for the topcase, but because they were testing the wifi, it might be a week. But they phoned me 1pm Sunday. So four hours for a topcase replacement is excellent, you can kill that by watching a film and visiting a few shops.

Yeah I cant wait for the new topcase, it will feel brand new. I used to play Warcraft for like 12 hours a day, so my keyboard has been through alot of dirty fingers. Im pretty obsessive about hygene, so usually spend 2 hours a week cleaning the damn keyboard, if i see one hair in there, ill spend ages trying to prise it out with a credit card lol

16. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors 6502

Went in to pick it up today.

They replaced my topcase & airport card.
    The internet seems to be working better now, but we'll see how it goes long term.

Topcase feels very different to the first generation one.

the bill was like 110 pounds ($240) but warranty covered it

17. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Plastic will feel rougher and it will look more grey than the original (probably).

Glad everything went well !