What is the whitehat thing to do here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iJawn108, Apr 23, 2007.

1. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Someone living in my apartment complex of 20 units has their connection open... which is up to the person I had mine open up until about a month ago. But here's the kicker they have absolutely no pass or anything for their router config. You hit click and you're in, it totally blew me away today. :eek: I want to inform the owner(I'd even teach them how to secure it if they were up for it) of this issue and how severe this could be to their browsing and computer. I just have no idea how to do so. Leaving a note in the lobby would leave them open to more nefarious tenants so that's not appropriate.

and no this isn't a complex offer we wouldn't have that here.

and I'm doubtful it is someone trying to gain access into unsuspecting users computers as most people here are elderly.

Any feedback would be great, I feel like I am driving past someone's car and they have a flat. I NEED to tell them.

2. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I assume that since it is a "20 unit" complex it is multi-level / spread-out. If you have a laptop - rome the ground and try to find the strongest signal then post signs in that localized area.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Since you have a portable computer, connect up to their network...then move around the complex and try to triangulate their location. Stronger signal = closer, weaker = farther. But you'll have to allow for obstacles that might block the signal too. The other thing is it might not be in your complex, but could be a nearby business also.

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I just don't get the "white hat" part about it. :eek:

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

The good guy...from the old Westerns where the good guy wears the white hat and the bad guy wears the black hat.

6. iJawn108 thread starter macrumors 65816

iJawn108

That's a great idea, it never even accrued to me walk around. Big duh! on my part. Any other ideas would be great.

7. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

He's using white hat, a modified version of the red hat distro to hack wireless networks of course..:D

I once had an open wireless netowork in the area, worked wonders while it lasted. I guess the paeople figured out ti was being accessed and decided to password with it with the most hectic of security measures.

8. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Connect to their printer and print a creepy message and instructions on how to secure the network. :rolleyes: