What is the worst (Or most useless) App on the Store?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by markintellect, Jul 25, 2008.

1. markintellect macrumors member

In my opinion it is the My Life Record Family/Personal Edition. For starters, it is totally useless outside of the US, and is on non-US App Stores, and who says to themselves "Hmm. If only there was an App which means I can share to my friends and family what my inflamed pancreas looks like..."?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Various Flashlight apps, the fake beer app, and the light saber app.

TEG

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I disagree (cause I still have these :eek:) They are at least entertaining for 5 secs to non-iPhone owning friends.

I vote for the "game" to see how long you can hold down a button.

4. SlapMonkey macrumors regular

Really? You think that "My Life Record" app(s) that may be very useful for people that are serious ill (or terminally ill) and need to keep track of their progress and to share that with their loved ones is more useless than an app like Jared or iMilk!?

Man, I am just losing all hope for humanity on this forum today...

5. hairydawg75 macrumors newbie

hairydawg75

6. Neo110503 macrumors regular

I really hope no one says the "more cowbell" app is useless.

7. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

I say whatever application shows you the number of the current week. I guess it could be useful to some.

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

9. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yeah, this one is pretty lame for sure.

11. crotalus99 macrumors regular

Tip Apps!!!!!

Am I the only one that thinks that if you can't figure out 20% of any number in less than 10 seconds you shouldn't be allowed to own an iPhone.. ? : )

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Are there any that really just do that?

The ones I have seen involve stuff like "Mary orded $12 worth of food and is paying cash...Sue ordered $16 worth of food and has a credit card..."

And so on. They seems to be more about splitting complicated bills rather than just doing the tip. But there are several apps, I haven't seen them all. If there really are ones that just do the percentage, that is pretty lame.

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah I hear you, but I lost all hope by browsing all the reviews for various apps in the app store.

The My Life Record app is potentially one of the most useful and beneficial apps out there. claiming it is the least useful is just dumb. I understand if it doesn't work in foreign markets, but that is an oversight, not a reason to claim the program is useless.

I am so tired of the stupid reviews and comments from people with no right to be making comments about various apps. From pricing complaints to whatever else.

All that is happening is potential developers are being scared off by a band of 12 year old complainers and it is very disheartening to me.

What is a developer of some cool app in production to think when he reads every app that charges more than $.99 deluged with comments saying it is overpriced. Even an app the developer themselves might think is worth $20. It makes them think, erroneously, people won't pay for good applications, and the reality is, it is just a handful of teenagers who got fired from McDonalds spending all day criticizing things they don't comprehend nor understand.

14. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

15. SlapMonkey macrumors regular

Well put and I agree 100%. That's actually my newest pet peeve; seeing these people complaining that, if an app is not free then it can't be worth it, without even knowing what the app is or does.

I bought the $20 Beatmaker app because it was very worth it to me for what I do. But I've seen some apps that I wouldn't use but seem very well done for only $1.99 and people are giving it bad reviews only because it's not free!

I think people still have this mentality that if it's only a cellphone app then it can't be worth much, but that is so the wrong way to think about it especially with the iPhone, which is a true computing platform in it's own right. (just today an article with John Carmack of Doom and Quake fame said the iPhone is in the same generation of power as the PS2 and the original X-Box.)

I wonder if these same people complain like this on the BlackBerry forums? I just went over to their app store (bplay.com) and in the top 5 games is a terrible and very "cellphone looking" version of "Call Of Duty 4" for the BlackBerry... selling for $12.99! And people here are complaining about innovative 3D games being too expensive at 2, 5 or even 10 dollars!? Boggles the mind...

16. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

No doubt the flashlight apps... It flashes a white screen.

The tips apps are pretty useless too. Depending on your tax rate, just double the tax to find the tip! Ex. Tax 8.5%, so Tip = twice the tax...

17. elistan macrumors 6502a

Holy Toledo! Really? Got a link? Wow, that means GREAT things for when the professional game companies start to get into the scene more heavily. There are a LOT of great games out there that were written for much much slower hardware, meaning they should translate very well to the iPhone, provided the unique touch interface isn't an issue.

18. SlapMonkey macrumors regular

http://toucharcade.com/2008/07/25/exclusive-iphone-game-from-id-software/

19. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If that's how you think tips are calculated, then maybe you do need an app for it! :p

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd have to say these are the worst apps in the store.

21. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I CANT BELIEVE NO ONE SAID THE STAPLER APP!!
    woo hoo, lets use a digital stapler to staple a digital declaration of independence!

how about cow tossing??

there are also a TON of useless apps that show you were useless things are. But thats jsut my opinion, SOME people might find them usefull.

22. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

Not really. Like the article says, spending big money on an iPhone game is a bad idea, because the market can't support it. Games can easily cost millions of dollars to make, but I can't picture them making even a fraction of that money back. Which will, of course, limit us to playing miniaturized games with simple controls. :(