Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GS Owner

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
Recently I’ve had to bring to work a Flash Drive I normally keep permanently installed at home. To keep the personal files separate from purely business I created a folder I named Holder. :rolleyes: I then moved every private file and their folders into it. On the base of the Flash Drive I then had the Business Only files as well as Holder.

But when I plugged the Flash Drive into a Windows machine I not only saw the several Business Only files and Holder, I saw several private files that started with “._”. File HBAR524.txt might, for example, would be have a twin named ._HBAR524.txt. In fact I saw several files I thought I had long deleted.

This was embarrassing. I regularly delete trashed files, but here they were on a Dell using Windows 7. I could see dozens of private files. :eek: Of course I then re-deleted the many files I had long thought were deleted. You could see many normally hidden/invisible files with Windows but were hidden with Snow Leopard. What was going on?

And another thing: When I plugged the Flash Drive back in at home and went back to my normal setup I suddenly found had double the picture files I rotate as Wallpaper. Every wallpaper picture suddenly had a twin: Wallpaper.101.JPG suddenly had ._Wallpaper.101.jpg. Then the system wanted to use the new files instead of what was normally setup. 300+ empty files were being tasked for displaying a wallpaper picture. In the end I deleted the corrupt wallpaper folder and used backup pictures to replace it.

When I was using my Dearly Departed Apple ][ GS I had an option to see directory information files that were normally hidden. All of a sudden I’m finding hundreds of files that are normally hidden under 10.5 and 10.6.

What I think is happening is that Temp files are not being properly deleted even though I usually use Secure Delete.
Now I understand the need for Temp files, what I DO NOT understand is why they aren’t being deleted or why I cannot see them. I can see them very plainly in Windows.

Why are these "deleted" Temp files showing up on Windows and not Snow Leopard?
Why weren’t these files deleted in the first place?
Why do I find, when copying files from one drive to another drive, these ._(Blank)Files (?) as well as their original Files are copied? Why can’t just the original Files be copied?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

Why are these "deleted" Temp files showing up on Windows and not Snow Leopard?
Why weren’t these files deleted in the first place?
Why do I find, when copying files from one drive to another drive, these ._(Blank)Files (?) as well as their original Files are copied? Why can’t just the original Files be copied?

Currently, Mac OS X does support resource forks on Windows SMB shares by creating a hidden file in the same directory with the data fork file, with the characters "._" at the beginning of the file name. However, this may be annoying for some users, especially because some Windows power users always keep hidden files visible. Besides, Windows does not treat those files correctly as the file itself is moved or removed. A few resource fork files created by Mac OS X on an SMB share can be disabled by an Apple supported action.

Further threads: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...e:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Currently, Mac OS X does support resource forks on Windows SMB shares by creating a hidden file in the same directory with the data fork file, with the characters "._" at the beginning of the file name. However, this may be annoying for some users, especially because some Windows power users always keep hidden files visible. Besides, Windows does not treat those files correctly as the file itself is moved or removed. A few resource fork files created by Mac OS X on an SMB share can be disabled by an Apple supported action.

Further threads: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...e:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=
This isn't an SMB share, but rather a USB drive. The same resource fork concept applies, though - that's what Mac OS X is doing. In any case, there are several ways to zap these unwanted files.

1. Search for them on Windows (use .* as your search criteria, only works with WinXP's "classic" search assistant, not Windows Desktop Search or later versions of Windows).
2. Zip the files into an archive first, using the Terminal or a GUI tool like BetterZip. This has the added advantage of increasing copy speed to and from USB drives.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
...or the Compress “____” item, right in Finder's contextual menu.
That actually won't work. Windows gets confused by the ZIP files generated by this method. Furthermore, all those annoying .DS_Store files and ._ resource fork files are still there in the archive.

GS Owner

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
So how do I get rid of them from my Mac? I don't use Windows except at work.
Bringing the Flash Drive was - hopefully - a One Time deal.

:confused:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
You don't want to get rid of them from your Mac... they store useful information that you'll probably want preserved (such as extension hiding settings). The way I deal with this problem is by using BetterZip to create archives without these files, and copying the archives to my flash drives.

GS Owner

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
OK, I have to keep the Temp Files. Got that.

But what about all the empty ._(blank).JPG files?
What do I do about them?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
OK, I have to keep the Temp Files. Got that.

But what about all the empty ._(blank).JPG files?
What do I do about them?
Those are Mac OS X's way of representing the resource fork of a file on a file system that doesn't support forks (such as FAT32). They won't show up on the Mac side, of course, but they will on Windows. The simplest way to deal with them is to not worry about them on the Mac (since they're a non-issue there) and only take action (using a utility like BetterZip, or the CLI zip command) to get rid of them when sending files from Mac OS X to Windows, via archival.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.