What is this and how can it be fixed/avoided?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, Sep 8, 2010.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Hi,

Every so often when I'm in safari and change between applications, parts of the webpage remain on screen, either when I change application or open another tab. The issue usually goes away when I go into Exposé but today I had to restart.

I'm not to worried about it but I wasn't sure if it's hardware or software issue. I've ran the Apple Hardware test and No problem where found...Would disabling "auto graphics switching' change it ?

My spec is in my Signature.

Thank You

Attached Files:

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Hmmm...

Have you tried creating and working in another account to see if it happens then?

The only real way to know if it's software related would be to do a clean install of the operating system.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

No I haven't tried that... It's only a month or so old (it was a replacement). Again, it doesn't happen that often so by creating another account could take a long time before I see it...

Do you know what it is exactly? Is it software related?

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I haven't seen anything like that before, no.

5. creative78 macrumors regular

creative78

Just noting I've had this exact same problem. It's probably happened twice since I got this new machine (also a replacement). I've not managed to figure out what causes it.

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

this used to appear on my old mac when changing into safari, it usually helped to clear the cache.

7. noire anqa macrumors regular

If the AHT says no problems then yes it could well be software.
    However i fried a powerbook once and the AHT still said everything was fine ..

If you can get a copy of TechToolDeluxe (provided free if your ordered extended AppleCare) that can test your GPU vRAM.

I'd highly recommend you use that to test your system. If TechTool also says everything is fine then it indeed looks like a software glitch.

You could try reinstalling the OS. That should be easy to do - you can install straight over the top of your current installation (no need to erase first) and it will preserve all your user data and applications. It only overwrites the system folder.

Failing that, the problem may well be down to a rare bug in the video drivers - in which case none of the above steps will make any difference. You'd just have to wait until they get updated in a future system update.

Good luck!

8. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I've just selected the auto switching graphics and when checked, the screen goes crzty (Intel HD Chip) but when unchecked, the screen goes fine. I may just leave it unchecked... I'm always plugged into a outlet anyway.

9. noire anqa macrumors regular

Sure, as long as you're happy doing that. Doesn't tell you what the actual problem was (software vs hardware) but at least it won't bug you anymore.