What is this BEHIND my screen?...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slick316, Jan 18, 2008.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

I just noticed this today, its all over the screen, but that was the pic that I was able to take. Its noticeable most on light backgrounds.

I already made an appointment to go to the Genius Bar at the mall, but just wondered if this was one of those common display issues or not.

And before anyone says anything, no, its not the wallpaper, and no, its not something ON the display (like dirt).

[​IMG]

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree, but damn, how is it getting behind the screen? Its all over the screen though, its not nice looking.

Is it safe to assume that Apple will repair it?

I have owned Apple computers for 3 years now, and never had to contact them for warranty stuff, I'm a little scared :)

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

So, one day nothing. The next day dust all UNDER your screen. Did you blow some compressed air around there, or do anything different? Seems weird that you didn't notice it. It is everywhere.

5. meagain macrumors 68030

6. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Believe me, this crap is not ON the display. I honestly noticed a couple of the darker spots maybe a month ago, but I don't use the laptop daily, and I have always had a dark background and kept the brightness low. It was today that I changed the background and saw more of the spots. I then set the background to white and saw the stuff all over the display. I used a can of compressed air, and of course, it didn't change a thing. The screen is spotless. I cleaned it using some water and a microfiber cloth, its not something on the display, its definitely behind there.

I just wonder how it happened, it really doesn't seem like something can get behind the display.

7. Dobiewonkanobie macrumors regular

I saw something like that once. But I was facing the sun and it was just the light coming through the :apple: on the back!

8. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

I should also note that I can only see the marks when I look at the display head on. At angles, I cannot see the marks, I just can't make sense of it.

9. Kelly™ macrumors regular

This is going to sound stupid.
    Did you put the damn thing in your dryer?
    o.o

That is ABSOLUTELY indicative of being wrapped in cloth and placed in a tumbler with heat. You see it on cell phones all the time.

Did you leave it in the sun for a long time or in our car in a case in extreme heat?

10. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

i feel for you, man...that must suck big time. i can't stand having dust get into my toys' screens. let us know what the geniuses say.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Actually, that brings up a good idea. OP, have you been carrying it around in a soft case, one that might have some lint on the inside? If you have and it managed to wake up from sleep in that case - the heat given off may have been enough ...

It's not unheard of.

12. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't use a case or sleeve. It either sits on my computer desk at home, or I take it to work sometimes (so it takes a 5 minute car drive with me).

I never left it out in the sun or anything like that, but I remember once, I put it to sleep on my desk, I was quite sure that there was atleast an 80% percent charge on the laptop. Anyways, after about 7-8 hours, I returned to use the laptop, and it had no charge left. Like I said, I am almost positive that there was sufficient battery life left, but I guess I can't be for sure.

I hope that's not what this is, but if its my fault, I guess I'll just wait to replace the LCD (what is average cost for an LCD replacement anyways).

Thanks for the help, my appointment is for later in the day, I will let you guys know how it turns out.

13. chris315 macrumors newbie

i just had the same problem and applecare replaced the lcd for me

14. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

So did you take it to an Apple Store, or just call Applecare and send it off?

I have never had to get a repair done on any of the Apple products I have used, so I have no idea what the procedure is.

But at least its good to hear that you got it replaced by Apple, hopefully I have no issues in doing the same.

15. Kelly™ macrumors regular

I would call applecare and have them create a tiket for a replacement LCD on the warranty, especally if the only time it was exposed to heat was because it failed to sleep when the lid was closed. Then once the ticket is created take it to your local apple store for fixing.

16. Milk*is*tasty macrumors member

They could be small insects or worms, actually. It happens a lot. Do a search on the web, there's a lot of people experiencing the same thing, and a lot of people who have opened up their panels to prove it.

Bugs like banana flies and pretty much every other small flying insect can easily get stuck inside the panel. So throw out that old garbage bag filled with small flies and open up the panel and use compressed air on it (or just turn it in to Apple). Same procedure if it's dust (it does looks like dust in your case). Panels that aren't tight (many screens really aren't tight enough) can easily get stuff between the actual panel, and the plastic/glass.

Usually, when it's just one or two small spots, it's just dust, but when it's multiple, it's probably insects. And they do look different from dead pixels or sub-pixels as well. If there's sort of an fluffy edge to the spots, and some of them seem to go along more than one pixel or sub-pixel, then it's not the pixel that is dead, but something blocking the light. In your case, it does look like dust though, but usually that amount of dust doesn't get in between the panel and the plastic/glass at the same time (unless there's some fault in the construction, or you've done something really weird to your laptop).

If it looks like dead pixels, then it might be some sort of panel error as well, probably from production, but usually when experiencing multiple dead pixels (5-10 or more), they tend to flock. If you know you've done something stupid with your LCD display, it's sure to have been that though, so don't be too quick to blame the manufacturers. Not that I think it's the pixels in your case.