What is this big thing of AMOLED and OLED?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Bubble99, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Bubble99 macrumors 6502

Lots of people are talking about OLED or AMOLED of being the next big thing and are to replace TV's . computer monitors, laptops and notebook screens, smartphones screens, smart watches screen so on.

So what is the range about OLED or AMOLED being so much better than LCD or LED?

When do you thing computer monitors, laptops and notebook screens will start to have OLED or AMOLED?

I hear some TV's and smartphones now have OLED or AMOLED!!

Is OLED or AMOLED sharper screens? Show more colors? Could the next Macbook Pro coming out later this year be AMOLED?

2. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

The biggest differences from the research I have done seems to be deeper black level, contrast ratio, and brightness uniformity. It won't be any sharper just for being an OLED because sharpness is based on resolution, not screen technology.

CNET did a pretty good piece a while back comparing OLED to LED.

https://www.cnet.com/news/led-lcd-vs-oled/

3. Zenithal Suspended

4. Bubble99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why where you do that? That could be other 4 to 8 years from now.

5. Zenithal Suspended

How often do you think people buy 65"+ televisions?

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It bends.;) (No it's not too soon. Bendgate was years ago.:p)

Anyhow, the biggest draw of OLED they're extremely flexible.

7. Bubble99 thread starter macrumors 6502

What does other people have to do with you getting new technology? Why do you have to wait for 60% of the people or more to have OLED or AMOLED before you get it?

If you don't care about vivid colors, deep blacks, brightness, contrast ratio, amazing colors than stick with older technology.

If you really scared that OLED may not last 8 to 10 years of use than stick with older technology to they improve OLED to last longer!! When LCD first came out it did not last long and had dead pixels. Now these is not problem with LCD.

What are your needs? May be your needs are more with CPU, GPU, RAM and storage than 4K or OLED. And you rather put more money getting faster and better CPU and GPU and more RAM and storage. Than say display screen not big concern.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

This is what I don't understand about OLED. There are all kinds of OLED screens in big TV size (55, 65, 77, etc). There are all kinds of OLED screens in handheld size (4, 5, and 6 inch smartphones).

So why aren't there any OLED models in "middle" sizes, such as for a 34 inch computer monitor? Dell announced one last year and the pricing was going to be around $5000. Yes, five thousand. That is not a typo. And it was cancelled.

The reason why I was looking into it is that OLEDs look AMAZING. Like jaw-droppingly amazing. I'm spoiled by my TV and then when I get to my LED monitor it just looks so dull and washed out.

Frankly, I don't think LED and QLED are even fair terms. These are really just LCDs with incremental improvements. The name implies some sort of huge shift in technology or a relationship to OLED, which is not the case at all. I have seen many, many people confuse them for being the same or similar. They are not. The difference is night and day. There ARE good LCD TVs, but these are top of the line FALD models that end up costing as much or more than OLED anyway.

9. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

http://www.oled-info.com/oled-monitor

"Of course OLED technology is not perfect. One of the major drawbacks of an OLED display is image retention (burn-in). In an OLED display each pixel is driven independently and each pixel ages differently - the brightness is reduced with use. To put it simply - a pixel that was used a lot will be less bright than a pixel that hasn't been driven as much.

For mobile phones and TVs this is less of a problem - but in a computer user interface many UI elements are quite fixed (toolbars, icons, etc) which means that burn-in is a real problem. There are some technologies to handle this problem - for example by measurement and compensation, and the lifetime of OLED displays is improving all the time. In addition user-interface designers can design a user interface that will be more suited for OLED displays."

10. Bubble99 thread starter macrumors 6502

How much does a OLEDs TV cost to buy?

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Probably the cheapest you'll see is about $1500 for 55" 2016 model and some patience or smart shopping. It goes up from there to about $20,000 for a 77" at full retail price in a local brick and mortar store.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2017 ---
    I have two issues with that. (1) There is an Alienware laptop with OLED running Windows. (2) OLEDs have temporary image retention, not permanent burn-in like an old CRT or plasma. LG has already solved this problem by running a compensation cycle for every 4 hours of viewing, when the TV is off/standby, which clears temporary image retention. You can also run it manually if you like.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

My 55' LG OLED screen has the deepest blacks and truest colors of any tv monitor I've ever owned. Viewable from ANY angle the colors are true.

13. Bubble99 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you are saying there is no computer monitors out there with OLED or AMOLED? What about laptop computers?

14. Kcetech1 macrumors regular

15. darksithpro macrumors regular

Main Benefit to OLED= Organic Light Emitting Diodes is you don't need a back-light, like you do LCD screens. Ever watch a movie on your LCD TV, or a computer screen with all the lights out, and during cut scenes, when the screen goes black you always see a little white light on the edges of the screen bleeding out? That's the back-light leaking through. ON OLED the screen will be completely dark, as each pixel is either on, or off. That's the advantage. Also response time. Most LCDs have a response time of 8-16 milliseconds. On OLED it's almost instantaneously. Drawbacks can be some burn in like plasma screens and in direct sunlight it's harder to see OLED than it is LCD. Also OLED should use less power because it doesn't need a back-light. It's also bendable and earlier OLED screens don't last as long as the matured LCD screens.

16. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I think there is one model out there with OLED, a 13" Alienware.

17. Kcetech1 macrumors regular

alienware 13, Lenovo X1 Yoga 14", hp Spectre 360 and a few more especially in convertible tablet/laptops.

https://www.oled-info.com/oled-devices/laptops

I have seen a thread in another forum with a more comprehensive list including a couple 15" units.

18. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

This just makes me even more confused! OLED can sell at huge sizes (TV), handheld sizes (phone), and small sizes (laptop), but not medium sizes (desktop monitors)?

19. Kcetech1, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

Kcetech1 macrumors regular

Sure, Dell and HP both put out professional OLED monitors. not really too much for the lower end market yet

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-aiei?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=210-AIEI

I just ordered a pair of these slightly used for doing color grading etc for video work ( the color reproduction on these things is UNREAL !!! with real 10 bit color work - 1.1 billion colors )

there is also the Sony PVMA series and FSI makes a fantastic one for studio broadcast work both of those are more expensive than the Dell.

20. Bubble99 thread starter macrumors 6502

So when do you think the price will come down? Any idea if the price is coming down or will come down in the next 3 to 6 years from now?

When 4K came out it was really costly and now that is really come down really fast!! The same thing with Apple retina screen and Macbook Air when it first came out was really costly.

21. Kcetech1 macrumors regular

I would say a year or two. but your Professional models are always far more money than " consumer & prosumer " models. as 90% of people don't really care about 10 bit color, color calibrators, portrait modes and other oddities. As of now I think every OLED monitor I have seen 24" and up has been professional or industrial category of which that Dell is actually the CHEAPEST.