Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Sorry, this is kind of a random post, but I was wondering this for a while and didn't know how to describe it, but looked up the battery indicator lights for something else and figured I'd ask here.

battery-monitor.jpg

Ok, even weirder, it doesn't seem to do anything on my 15" MBP at home but pressing it one my 13" work computer seems to "cycle" the lights?

Thanks!

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
It just turns the lights on for a couple seconds, turning them on one at a time from left to right to form some kind of animation. What do you mean the button does nothing? Lights are not supposed to turn on unless you press that button.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sorry, this is kind of a random post, but I was wondering this for a while and didn't know how to describe it, but looked up the battery indicator lights for something else and figured I'd ask here.

Ok, even weirder, it doesn't seem to do anything on my 15" MBP at home but pressing it one my 13" work computer seems to "cycle" the lights?

Thanks!

What specific model is your MacBook Pro? It's likely that the button only serves to turn on the lights, so you can see the current battery status.

Last edited:

WMD

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Florida, USA
Those are battery indicator lights. The button turns them on for a few seconds, so you can see how much charge remains. Useful to check the battery when the computer is off/asleep.

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
What specific model is your MacBook Pro? It's likely that the button only serves to turn on the lights, so you can see the current battery status.
My late '08 15" MBP has these, and yes, they are battery status lights triggered by the button.

Last edited:

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
I love the 4 replies after the 1st guy already answered the question. This is not really a how button issue.

Oh and to stay on topic... The button is to turn the lights on so you can see how much power your battery has. :rolleyes:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
It just turns the lights on for a couple seconds, turning them on one at a time from left to right to form some kind of animation. What do you mean the button does nothing? Lights are not supposed to turn on unless you press that button.

I've just just never notice it actually doing anything on my MBP at home, but am also not sure that I've been looking at the battery lights when pressing, so was just wondering.

Late 2011 15" at home, probably a late 2011/early 2012 13" at work. Thanks everyone.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain

Thanks!

Breathalyzer? :D

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I love the 4 replies after the 1st guy already answered the question. This is not really a how button issue.

Oh and to stay on topic... The button is to turn the lights on so you can see how much power your battery has. :rolleyes:

Yes, but nothing is true unless it comes from GGJstudios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.