What is this device?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamesmademe, Jan 2, 2015.

1. jamesmademe macrumors newbie

So I was going through the old lost property where I work and came across this Apple branded USB device. I've tried looking online, but can't find any trace of it anywhere!
    I'm sure it's going to be something boring like a fake USB from China, but perhaps you guys will know what it is.

Brief description: about an inch a a half long, words 'not for resale' written on back. Very old and grubby, looks well used. Doesn't display when connected to Windows laptop (unable to gain access to a mac)

Attached Files:

2. OneAnswer macrumors member

Could be the Lion USB install medium Apple sold in 2011.

Nope, isn't that.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

So much for being security conscious.

I don't think so. I believe the Mac OS Recovery Drive had an aluminum casing.

4. OneAnswer macrumors member

Nope, it was just a flat thingy.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

They are flat but I was thinking that they were constructed out of aluminum. I have not seen one in person so I was just going off of my memory of seeing them on the Internet. After just looking at them on the Internet again they look to be polycarbonate similar to the MacBook casing, the best I can tell.

6. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Yeah the lion usb drive looked like this: [​IMG].

I'm curious to know what the thing you have could be... :confused:

7. thedeske macrumors 6502a

There were Apple flash drives (in colors) but the hole was round.
    This looks like an OS drive, Perhaps not a US version.
    When you get around any Mac from the last several years, you'll find out ;)

8. jamesmademe thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I should have expected the grilling for using Windows, eh? ;)

I do live in the UK, so an international version of an OS recovery drive would make sense. The city I live in does have an Apple store too (nearby to where I found it actually) so Ill just take it in there and see what they say.

Strange that I can't find a single image of it online though.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Maybe a diagnostic USB O/S that the Genius Bar used a long time ago ?

The white color is a clue. Perhaps from around the time of the white plastic Macbook ?

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

Using Windows has nothing to do with it, plugging some random flash drive that you found into a computer has everything to do with it.

It's people like you that penetration testers, social engineers, and hackers love. People that are not security conscious that is.

11. Cdub2235 macrumors member

You're right, someone left that at his lost property where he works (at an apple store) with the malicious intention that some "person like him" will use it and their master virus injection plan will work.

I've read a lot of posts and you're always so condescending. Lighten up a little buddy.

12. brand, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

brand macrumors 601

brand

What is this device?

Actually this is exactly how things like this happen. Other common areas that someone wanting to gain access to your computer or corporate network will leave flash drives and discs is parking lots and public gathering areas. As far as "person like him" goes any person that would would do what he did would fall under that classification. If one does not like being classified as such then the best thing to do would be to not do it.

You may want to brush up on your computer security if you think what I am talking about far fetched.

13. Cdub2235 macrumors member

While what you just wrote isn't far fetched and I agree with. The way you "classify" and look down upon the OP is uncalled for. The BEST thing to do would have been to link some articles on computer security instead of treating the OP like a braindead fool who plugged in a potentially malicious USB stick.

Pull 10 people off the street and give them a free flash drive. I'd be willing to bet 80 or 90% of the people would be just as curious as the OP and see what's on the drive.

This is just my opinion though, and I didn't mean to attack your comments, but don't we all have family or friends that we know that aren't security conscious at all?

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

You have a point. Tack is not one of my finer traits.

15. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Does HFS+ drives show up in Windows at all?

16. OneAnswer macrumors member

Only with additional software like MacDrive or HFSExplorer.

17. brand macrumors 601

brand

What is this device?

The drive will show up under Disk Management but the HFS+ partition will not mount since HFS+ is not a file system that Windows can natively read. That is why the software that OneAnswer previously recommended is required.

18. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Maybe a restore drive for an early generation MacBook Air.

19. brand macrumors 601

brand

That it is not.

20. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

get it over with!

find some volunteer on mac rumors, ask them for their address via inbox and we will see if its mountable.

i got disk warrior! and a time machine backup!

but if its one of those usb trojans, i dunno!! i guess ill have to erase my hard disk

the suspense is killing me

21. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I have one. It sucks. Had it on a keychain for a while and the plastic frame cracked in the middle. It's a plastic frame with a flash memory thing sitting inside it. So it has weak spots, the biggest being between the memory thing and the lower part of the plastic frame with the hole.

Attached Files:

22. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Probably a promotional item then, hence it being marked "not for resale".

23. brand macrumors 601

brand

Thats a good idea. Given that no one seems to have seen one before it might have been a very small production run.