What is this effect called and how do I do it?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Apr 24, 2010.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I think this is a really koo effect that this person did. How do I do it though? Does anyone know what it's called so I can maybe look it up?

Here's the link.

I know they used a green screen and it looks like freeze frames, but how are they all in the same frames without bumping into or cutting each other off if it was taped 3 different times? I have After Effects and FCP.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

S/he used layers and rotoscoping and a moving green screen.

3. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Could you explain the moving green screen and how they did that? What was the purpose of the green screen moving?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It was hinted at in the video's description. Green screen is expensive, so they only had a small amount of it and had it moving behind every character in the shot, so they could key the person instead of manually using masks, which are time consuming like putting twenty crying babies to bed at once.

5. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok the description kind of makes sense, but I guess I don't quite understand how it went from a freeze frame on the wall to the person jumping onto the ground if they only had enough green screen on the wall.

Oh wait. I might get it. So you're saying it started with a blank wall. Then the green screen was on the wall. Then when they jumped someone kept the green screen behind them while they ran and put the original background behind in the editing process? I think that makes sense. It seems like it'd be time consuming to mask out the person who's carrying the green screen though for every frame.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, that is the gist of it. But as the person carrying the green screen is not "touching" with the person in front of it, the actual masking process is quite easy, as the running person is hopefully completely surrounded by the green screen without any outside interference, thus everything (outside the green screen) can be discarded via cropping or a simple rectangular or polygon mask, thus only the green and the person in front of it is visible. The movement can either be compensated via tracking or a simple keyframe animation, depending on the jitteriness of the green screen, so the mask is following the green screen accordingly.
    That is easier to accomplish with AE or Motion than with FCP.

7. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmmm thanks. So is the beginning is just a freeze frame with the green screen in place? This is really helpful by the way. Thanks.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yep.

9. vizfxman macrumors regular

I don't think it is a "moving green screen". It's shot in four passes: (1) the wall, (2) the first jumper with a green screen behind him, (3) the second jumper with the green screen moved further down the wall to his position, and (4) the last jumper with the green screen moved further down the wall behind him.