What is this file that will not delete from my trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by woodbutcher, Dec 9, 2007.

1. woodbutcher macrumors regular

woodbutcher

I have this file that has appeared in my trash bin, this file stays there when I empty the trash. The icon shows full. When I try to "get info" on the file, nothing happens. I drag it out onto the desktop, and it disappears. Any Help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Well, that's not right. The file is a little bothersome, but if it is a zero-byte file, can't be dragged to the Desktop, and appears to return nothing but garbage, it may just be a zombie, basically.

Try Option-Empty Trash. If that doesn't work, restart, then empty. If still no joy, SuperEmptyTrash (http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/sys/setrash/) has always worked for me. Running Disk Utility and repairing permissions and verifying & repairing the drive may not be out of question as an overnight maintenance step.

If that doesn't work, shoot it in the brain. That always kills zombies. Well, in the movies, anyway.

3. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

If you're comfortable using unix/bash commands in the terminal:

cd ~/.Trash
    rm -f *

will sort it out for you

4. cottie macrumors newbie

anyone know how to delete this kind of file???

It's really annoying!! :mad:

5. lowcut80 macrumors newbie

Windows

Hi,
    If you have a Windows partition on your mac, it's one of those Windows crap.
    Check out your Windows with Anti-virus softwares and clean up temporary internet folder etc...

Good luck!

6. cottie macrumors newbie

okay!! finally I can fix it... haha
    thx a lot... I actually have windows partition, and then remove the ".trash" folder in it (while using windows OS), and that "zero byte" file finally gone..

your advice make me look further into the windows partition..
    thx again...

*sorry.. my english is bad.. :D

7. Eclipse97z macrumors newbie

Eclipse97z

Similar

I happened to get this file yesterday on my MBP. I guessing that it came from a flash drive that I used from a friend, trying to transfer a file. Is this a virus?

8. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

I highly doubt it's a virus... just let it be for the time being.

9. Eclipse97z macrumors newbie

Eclipse97z

Ok I've opened my Trash bin in OS X now the file name has changed as well as the date of modification. How do I clear this?? I attempted to do what the other writer suggested but had a hard time following.

Attached Files:

10. Eclipse97z macrumors newbie

Eclipse97z

Strange!!! As of today, I've turned my machine on, and noticed that the(se) files are not in the trash bin. All I remember doing is deleting some files and emptied the bin and it was gone. Just thought I'd shred some info on this.

11. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I'd make that recursive in case there are folders in the trash, e.g.: rm -fr ~/.Trash/*