What is this G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Mar 27, 2015.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Can someone help me identify this G4.
    It is for sale locally but there is not much info in the advert.

Attached Files:

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

3. A.Goldberg, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Looks like an AGP or Gigabit Ethernet by the vertical audio ports. It's not a Digital Audio or PCI.

Edit 1: Looks like AGP since it appears to be VGA and DVI. GigE would have VGA and ADC. (Assuming it's the original video card).

Edit 2: Here's a hint for future use
    [​IMG]

AGP: Single 350, 400, 450MHz
    GigE: Single 400 or Dual 450 or 500Mhz

Edit 3: Is that an S-Video Port? That's throwing me off because I don't believe any of the original stock video cards in the AGP or GigE had S-Video out. So that leads me to believe the video card is not original. So in that case it could be a GigE.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It's either a Sawtooth or GigE...I don't know of any way to tell from outside examination short of reading the label or seeing one powered on. The presence of a stock video card with an ADC port would indicate a GigE, but that one has an upgraded video card.

If you can see it in person, the Sawtooth has an internal FW port at the top of the logic board, while the GigE deletes this but adds the extra power socket for ADC in front of the AGP slot.

Also, if powered on, a Sawtooth will generally have a green LED and a GigE will be white. This might be the simplest question to ask the seller.

At a glance, I'd guess that it has a Radeon 8500-it would be worth be picking up for that if nothing else.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Aha! There's the trick. I always forget about the LED color.

There label on the back below the AC-in should have the model number. Have them grab it for you and that should give you an idea. If they upgraded the video card, added the USB card, I would expect some other upgrades in there as well.

6. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Gleaned a bit more info...
    -----------------------------
    PowerMac G4 desktop, 450Mhz CPU, works great, both OS9.2 and OSX 10.4.11 Tiger installed.
    Pretty much all components have been upgraded from stock....80GB hard drive, 1GB system ram (4x256MB), DVD burner, Apple Airport WIFI card, ATI 9200 video card (128MB, VGA, DVI & S-video outputs), 8 USB 2.0 ports.
    -----------------------------
    He's asking $50 for it.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I should have picked up on the fact that the video card is not in the AGP slot.

$50 CAD is probably not far off the value of a good Radeon 9200(at least in US dollars).

The USB set up is slick with the extra ports in the ZIP bay.

If it's a single 450mhz, it's probably a Sawtooth. As far as I know, all 450mhz GigEs are DP.

Personally, I'd grab it.

----------

My Sawtooth has a somewhat scarce Mac-edition Radeon 8500, which has S-video out. I think, however, that this was a retail card and not a BTO option.

I bought the card separately from the computer.

8. A.Goldberg, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

$50 CAD is what- about $40 in USD?

I negotiate down to $40 CAD. Just because I think it's possible. If the person didn't list the specs (in my opinion) it is evident they either don't know what they're selling or they have very little interest in it at this point. To avoid using self-demeaning ethno-relgious stereotypes, I will say that may just the negotiator in my blood speaking.

To be fair I recently saw a DP500 going for $55 USD and a 667 Digital Audio for $35USD in my area FWIW. $50CAD doesn't sound bad, but I still think it's a fair amount of money for something quite old and slow (dare I use the word "obsolete" around here).

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

A close up of the label can reveal a lot, as the GigE actually lists "1000BT" as a feature on the label.

I'll also throw in that I would probably pay $40 USD for a Mac Edition Radeon 9200 by itself. That one may be a flashed one, though. I have a Mac edition 9200 in my lap at the moment, and the S-Video port is between the DVI and VGA.

10. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Here you go Bunns, now what does this tell you?
    I'm almost hesitant to visit this fellow, he claims to have "shelves full of stuff from that era."

Attached Files:

• tag.jpg
      tag.jpg
      File size:
      51.8 KB
      Views:
  11. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It's a Sawtooth

Unfortunately, the Ultra SCSI card appears to be gone-that was sort of a high end option back in the day.

12. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

What is the Sawtooths reputation in regards to fan noise?
    I've got really spoiled these past few years what with quiet minis and my virtually silent G4 Cube, mind you I do find my G5 Quad very acceptable even sitting on my desktop.

13. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

By and large, I find them fairly quiet. They have one big 120mm fan in the side of the case that's fairly unrestricted(unless it's caked in dust) and a PSU fan.

Give the fans a good cleaning, and it will likely be quieter(although not as quiet a Cube, even a Cube with a fan).

If it still had the Ultra SCSI drives it shipped with, that would probably be a different story as those can make quite a racket. I have a G3 minitower with them, and it's obnoxious. Since I doubt they're there, I don't think you have to worry about it.

14. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Well I drove down and purchased the Sawtooth, everything looked pretty good and Daryl (the seller) offered to throw in a 3 port FW 400 card no charge.
    Right now it is running on my desk and I'm checking things out, this includes running a full Diskwarrior check.
    Question, if I want to change out the boot disk, how can I save the installed OS9 2.2 partition?

15. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

You can do a drag-and-drop install with OS 9. I'd just dump everything on that partition you want to save onto a flash drive or other external drive, change out your disk, and then drag and drop it back on. It shouldn't take too long over USB 2(which it looks like you have) or FW400.

You may need to rebless the OS 9 system folder after you drag and drop it onto the new drive. To do this, boot from an OS 9 CD, open the system folder, and drag the folders "finder" and "system" to the desktop. Then, drag them back into the system folder. The system folder should show the finder "Smiley face" on it after you do this. Only worry about going through this process if the computer won't boot off your copied OS 9 install.

By the way, when formatting the new drive, be sure you install the OS 9 drivers.

16. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Well even before I think about this I can see a problem, no OS9 CD.
    This unit came with a 80GB HD and 2 partitions, 10.4.11 and OS9, no install disks.

17. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

JB I'm just across from you on the mainland (Delta) I have os 9.2.2 that I might be able to help you out with ;-) Just give me a buzz.

18. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

You could always put both your old and new HDDs in the computer at the same time, partition the new one as you would like(remember to install the OS 9 drivers!) and then use Carbon Copy Cloner or the like to clone the OS 9 install from the old drive to the new one.

19. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

PM sent...

20. PowerHack macrumors newbie

I came across an identical item on craigslist yesterday in Surrey, 450MHz Sawtooth With 2GB of ram for $50. I knew I had to have it, and then I looked over at the iPod touch I had received through trades about a week or two ago, long story short. About half an hour after seeing that ad I had lost an iPod that I never used and gained a Sawtooth which I'm currently installing leopard on. (867 QS CPU upgrade but due to The bus speed its running at 650MHz)