What is this? Graphic card problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hydrocity, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Well I will let the pictures do the talking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first picture is my desktop. I currently have my wallpaper set up to change every 10 min. There are 3 pictures that rotate and as you see in the first picture, they are merging together...

The second picture just shows some weird 5h*t. This happens almost every where. It happens a lot in YouTube.

I have a MacBook pro i7 (2010). It's only 1 month old and this has been happening for like 2 weeks but it does not happen everyday. More like every 2-3 days. I have to restart my computer to fix.

Should I be concerned?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Very unlikely to be a graphics card problem. Perhaps a corrupted file or something like that, especially if a restart fixes it.

3. tiwizard macrumors regular

It is more likely a hardware issue than software... Artifacting doesn't necessarily happen across the entire screen, and a restart will often fix it. In fact, if it happens sporatically and a restart fixes it, a software issue is very unlikely.

Examples of artifacting:
    http://ui01.gamespot.com/2816/0329001917.jpg
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/ati-radeon-x850/farcry_issue_sm.jpg
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/graphics card artifacting/Legendarycat/Other/artifacting2.png

You should probably go into the Genius Bar and they will look at it.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Interesting, I didn't know that. My bad

5. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tips!

Ill look at the links when I have time.

6. Alleyoop macrumors member

My i5 MBP started doing that recently too. Like you posted, it happens every couple days. Then when it happens it happens a couple times on different pages, and then just stops by itself. I, too, am wondering what to do and suspect I should take it in-for this and other issues.

Weird, I just went to youTube after I posted this to see if it would happen again because I did not realize a correlation with any site before and I wanted to try to duplicate the problem. Yes, the page was a mess! I took 4 screenshots to upload here, but then when I clicked on the screenshots a few minutes later, they were all solid black! They looked normal right after I took them...

7. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, the screenshots dont work. Thats why I had to take a picture with my phone. You pretty much have the same thing as me :(

8. Alleyoop macrumors member

Just so you know, suddenly nothing on youTube or any other videos are working at all for me. Blank black or white screen. Another computer in my house is working just fine-so not an internet connection issue.

9. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I've had the bottom pic happen to me a couple of times--happened just the other day--opening up a new finder window had all of those interesting designs in it. Restart brought everything back to normal. :)

10. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well the videos do work for me. It just happens on the comments and related videos sections...weird.

If it happens again on youtube, i will take a pic

11. Alleyoop macrumors member

So a little more than an hour later, youTube and other videos are working again... I'll take phone pic next time my screen acts up.

12. tails12345 macrumors newbie

same thing happens on my 15inch hi-rez I7. when you restart its fine.

13. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well it's happenin again =(

Here is what it looks like in YouTube

[​IMG]

14. netsurfz macrumors member

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

If its that frequent then its likely a hardware issue.

16. Leddy macrumors regular

I'd be taking it in and getting it replaced under warranty - looks like a hardware issue.

Cheers.

17. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

The thing is, how would the genius know I'm not lying? Can I just show him the pictures? I don't know when it could happen so trying to get it to screw up on the spot won't be easy...

Also, it is custom configured...I don't wanna wait 2 weeks to get another one.

well see...if it keeps happening, I'll go to the apple store.

18. tiwizard macrumors regular

They probably won't think your lying... I would be very surprised if they did, but it probably is best to try and go to YouTube in the Apple store to reproduce the issue, but show the Genius pictures if you can't get it to do it. Just mention it is random.

19. creative78 macrumors regular

creative78

I've had this problem as well. I think it's related to poor drivers for the Intel integrated graphics card.

I've found if I use gfxCardStatus to switch to the NVIDIA card when the problem happens, everything is fine again (without a restart).

20. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Same here, I get the same issue that's in the second screen shot and it only happens when I'm running off the Intel IGP. As soon as I set it to Nvidia like yourself it's perfectly normal.

21. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, well I will download that graphic card thing and keep it on nvidia. I'll see if that works

22. Alleyoop macrumors member

Finally got a screenshot with Grab. I took it to Apple today and the geniuses never saw the problem before. They thought I need a new logic board. So, they ordered one and we shall see what happens!

Attached Files: