What is this Hacktivation I keep reading about.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iLover1, Nov 30, 2010.

1. iLover1 macrumors member

I have jailbroken and unlocked my 3g on my first attempt. Im now on 4.2.1 and baseband 06.15.00 Tmobile carrier. But keep reading about some people hacktivating their iphones.. what is this.

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

It's when you activate the phone without the original carrier sim, it's activated so you can use the phone (ipod, apps, etc) but it won't get a signal if it's not unlocked or using the original carrier sim.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah one of the guys at the dev team blog mentioned that 4.1 and 4.2.1 have this thing that, the phone will constantly be using your Data or WiFi to check for valid push certificates if you didn't activate the phone with the official SIM.

4. Supertheory macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, I have the same question, but I don't quite understand the answer you've given.

I have a 3GS updated to 4.2.1, and I jailbroke it today using redsnow. I didn't unlock it and I don't need to. I have a monthly cell phone plan, and I got a sim card as part of that package. Should I be worried about this Hacktivation business?

If it's constantly using my dataplan, am I going to get charged a bazillion dollars?

5. iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

snappp!!!

so I was lucky to not remove the original sim card until ultrasn0w was completely done and rebooted, OMG!!, im such a lucky son of a gun.
    Thks for schooling me, this is my first ulock.

6. iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

I was reading the devteams blog and apparently if your phone did get hacktivated at some point, your battery will drain like there is not tomorrow (very quick) so if your battery its normal, then i wouldnt worry about hacktivation, also you can always check your account online and check your data transfer rate.
    Hope i helped :D