What is this icon on the menubar?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Eradik, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Eradik macrumors regular

[​IMG]

I know it wasn't there with SL, and it wasn't there (at least that I remember) when I clean installed Lion.

I'm sure it's a stupid question and it's something simple, but I cannot figure out what it is. The only options it has is 'Sync Now'

Thanks for the help!

2. OH Mac Fan macrumors newbie

Mobile Me

3. Eradik thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much!!

4. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Yeah, but I don't have Mobile-Me, and when I hit the button to sync, it doesn't give me any errors.

Should have a way to turn it off.

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You can Command-Drag an item off the menu bar to remove it.

6. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Or if you are synced to Google, Yahoo, any other service, or to devices like a mobile phone.

7. Eradik thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh, I just started syncing with Google Contacts, so thats why it just recently popped up. Thanks!

I still drug it off the menu bar since I don't need it cluttered up there. :)

8. kungfumonkey macrumors newbie

Strangeness

Hey guys,

i had dropped mobile me a few years ago on this Air i'm using and no longer subscribe. i just updated to lion. took about 24 hours to get everything "perfect" for me. absolutely love it. i have only one strange issue i'd like to deal with and it is this "sync now" icon. so i had set up address book, ical and mail to sync with my google account. now i see this "sync now" icon in my system tray with no other information about it. very weird. checked google to see if that was a virus or something. don't like that anonymity. i need to know what's going on with my system. the strangest thing about it is, if i leave it alone and just ignore it, everything seems to work just fine. but if I click that "sync now", it gives me a mobileme error.

so here's my question: should i search google to see how to nuke mobile me off my Air or is this happening to people who have never logged in and/or used mobile me before?

thanks, learning a lot here on macrumors!

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The last possibility you should ever consider when dealing with Mac issues is malware. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    As stated earlier in this thread, hold the Command key and drag it off your Menu Bar.

10. kungfumonkey macrumors newbie

so...

GGJ,

I'm sure xcode doesn't let you write malicious software for Mac, I know visual studio didn't let me write anything malicious for PCs. :confused: I believe I thought wisely in checking google first before clicking though, no matter what's on the rumor mill about "viruses". Even if god himself said there were no longer viruses on any machine and I saw something fishy, I'd check with google before proceeding.

Hiding the tray icon doesn't help me either but thanks.

Here's what's important though:
    ------------
    What I wanted to know though is if anyone else is getting mobile me errors from "syncing" with google/yahoo, etc. or is that just because I once had mobile me and don't any more?
    ------------

I don't want to conclude that syncing with my Gmail and Yahoo accounts were going to rope me back into mobileme, and I'm checking to see if this is unique to just me and my little macbook air. I didn't think the "Mail, Contacts & Calendars" pref pane would have anything to do with the "MobileMe" pref pane, but I may be wrong in that presumption. Looking to confirm this. In my case, manually clicking "Sync now" seems to prompt mobile me, but allowing the system to do it on its own doesn't...

Thanks.

11. sebseb81 macrumors member

Eradik, I'm curious to know, when you dragged the icon out of the menu bar, did the sync with Google Contacts get deleted? You have to open Address Book Preferences to find out, because it's not obvious that it gets deleted.

I was pretty happy to have gotten rid of the icon... then I realized my sync was gone! I hope there is a way to keep the sync and get rid of the icon.

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Removing the icon from the menubar will not stop sync.

13. sebseb81 macrumors member

Ok, well, I tried setting up the sync again and then dragging the icon out. This time the sync did not disappear, so thanks! I guess my sync had cut out earlier somehow.

14. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

I was just wondering that thing was too. Mystery solved!

15. Kaikat34 macrumors newbie

I just got a brand new macbook pro a month ago with OSX Lion. I don't have mobile me and just noticed this little icon last week. I did get a brand new IPhone 4s in which I synced everything between it and my laptop. So I am assuming that is why. Although everything works fine without me ever clicking the "sync now" option in that icon. I command dragged it off the top and haven't had any problems. : )

16. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Will it ever sync if you remove that icon? I'd still like it to occasionally.

17. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I can't see the icon in the original post anymore. But MobileMe is no longer part of OS X, and has been replaced by iCloud. This is an old thread.
    If you're talking about iPhone syncing, then that is done by iTunes.

18. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Oh no! I can't believed I bumped that! Whoops!

And I was talking about google sync, because I do still use that, so I'd assume that is why I have it.

I did think it was weird you all were mentioning mobile me haha.