What is this in my all documents folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Squirrelflight, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Squirrelflight, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

Squirrelflight macrumors member

I never saved this stuff. Why is it here? Can you delete all the random files in the All Documents folder you don't know?

I am just so confused. There are over 10,000 document files I have no idea what any of them are.

I am so confused. There are hundreds of documents/files that don't make sense, including gifs of little icons and stuff.

2. simsaladimbamba, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

simsaladimbamba

It is NEVER SAFE to delete files/data from within a SMART FOLDER, as depending on the criteria of that folder, can include important files.

And as you can hopefully see from the PATH BAR, the images you see, are from Adobe Dreamweaver, probably templates or so.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

Omgish that makes sense! Sorry about that! I don't even use that program just needed it for school so that explains why I had no idea what it was! I guess I shouldn't touch some of it then. I just hope it doesn't take up to much space. There are over 10,000 files, a lot mine but a lot totally random!

4. simsaladimbamba

The SEARCH FOR category in the Sidebar of Finder is for storing SMART FOLDERS, which are saved search results and not folders. Your Mac contains a lot of folders, my Mac currently contains 380,000 files, many of them important for the system and not to be touched. Why Apple put the SMART FOLDERS there without explaining them I do not know, as it often does do quite some harm.

5. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I did end up deleting those random pics since I don't use the program anyway and everything is fine. I'll leave the rest. I wish it was better organized because some of it is random html documents with like a few random words on it. I guess I am assuming some of things are connected to other programs?

The reason looked into this is because I wanted to clear up more space. But it's pretty complicated because if you look at your aps everything is there but if you click all documents loads of random stuff you don't even know pops up. But I am assuming it won't slow down the comp

6. simsaladimbamba

Unless you have less than 10 GB of free storage capacity free, storing files is not hindering the performance of a computer.

And now for one guide on uninstalling needless apps like Dreamweaver:

Then something about performance:
    If you want to enhance the performance of your Mac, be sure to check these two articles, do not just use applications, that promise to do it for you.

And freeing some space on your HDD or SSD: