What is this key for?

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
344
0
So, i've had a Mac for more than three years now. And I still have not figured out what that weird key next to the right Apple-key is for? Thus, I have decided to change this as of today and for the first time ever, I found a use for my cell-phone camera. And oh my god, that is one crappy thing.

I wish Apple made cell-phone cameras.
 

Attachments

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
24,757
133
Harrogate
My turn :)

What's this one for. It's on my new Bluetooth keyboard. All my previous Macs have been laptops which don't seem to have it.
 

Attachments

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
344
0
robbieduncan said:
My turn :)

What's this one for. It's on my new Bluetooth keyboard. All my previous Macs have been laptops which don't seem to have it.
That is where the the "turn on the numeric keyboard" key used to be. As of Panther, it is turned on automatically, so the eventually got rid of the key I guess. I have actually called Apple once about this, because I thought the light for my the numeric keyboard on my iMac was broken (I wanted to sell it)
:-(
 

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
24,757
133
Harrogate
sebisworld said:
That is where the the "turn on the numeric keyboard" key used to be. As of Panther, it is turned on automatically, so the eventually got rid of the key I guess. I have actually called Apple once about this, because I thought the light for my the numeric keyboard on my iMac was broken (I wanted to sell it)
:-(
Hmm interesting. You would think that it would be better to simply not put a key on the keyboard than to put a key on with a symbol that no-one recognises. It's definitely not backspace as that is under the help key.
 

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
276
3
GB
That key has 'clear' written on it on my (us) bt keyboard - doesn't seem to do a right lot as far as I figure :)
 

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
24,757
133
Harrogate
tzibo said:
That key has 'clear' written on it on my (us) bt keyboard - doesn't seem to do a right lot as far as I figure :)
Ah yes, forgot to mention that this is a UK keyboard :) I'm glad that I'm not the only one who can't find a use for this key!
 

madrobby

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
115
6
Daham
robbieduncan said:
My turn :)

What's this one for. It's on my new Bluetooth keyboard. All my previous Macs have been laptops which don't seem to have it.
This was used (up to?) OS 9:
The Clear key has the same effect as the Delete command in the Edit menu: It removes the selection without putting it on the Clipboard.
(from Apple Developer site)

Doesn't do anything in OS X (at least I think so).

On a side note, I can use the F14 and F15 keys to adjust brightness on my 23" inch Cinema HD Display, even when I lock the brightness keys in the "Display" preferences. I didn't know these keys would do that (no special markings on them) - and it's bad because I've a color-calibrated screen and wish it to stay calibrated...
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.